Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Olmsted Erratics
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 09/26/17 at 01:38 am EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 09/27/17 at 4:28 pm EST

Olmsted Point Erratics..... Nothing else other to focus on with all the smoke.

Canon 5DM4
Canon EF24-70‌ II f/2.8L at 70mm
ISO200 f/8 1/400ses

Thanks for looking and for comments on my previous posts.  Comments and critiques always appreciated.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/26/17 at 08:35 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Eva, this makes for a good alternative when things get interrupted by uncontrollable factors. Along with smoke, it can be wind, or poor lighting & other weather related issues that we're forced into making changes in our subject plans.

For me this would be an immediate draw as a photo opportunity as I spend a lot of time scoping out geological items on most of my photo outings. The accompanying rocks or boulders add nicely to the scattered massive underlying fissure or crevice laden slabs. The broken patterns look like a road map.
Although a bit tight in the LRHC it still works just fine for my tastes.......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/26/17 at 08:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Even without the smoke eliminating the grand scenes, I think the heart and soul of Olmstead Point are scenes like this. The erratics up there are great and you have captured a really nice look at them. I would agree with Paul that the LRC is a bit tight, but it still works quite nicely for me.  

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/26/17 at 12:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I have always enjoyed the erratics in the Yosemite High Country. Their various shapes and textures are intriguing, considering the many miles they traveled in ice from the high peaks. I like the arrangement of the boulders and the cracks in the glacier polished slab. I do agree that the lower right corner is a little tight, but that is minor. The color and contrast look very nice.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/26/17 at 2:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is an interesting composition. It's a cerebral composition - a polygon with rocks at the edges. I think it suggests a left-brain author. I like it, and I think this image grows on you. At first it seems unbalanced but all those lines hold it together. It's a bit unorthodox and therefore intriguing. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 09/26/17 at 3:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

This is well seen and executed Eva. I would personally crop about 15% of the bottom to get rid chopped off rock.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/26/17 at 7:04 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Eva, Nice job coming up with something quite interesting on your new focus. You did a nice job setting up this comp with the smaller rocks placed around the cracks. I agree with Prashant and would crop the bottom rocks. That would leave a nice comp with the bigger rock and the other two in the upper left. Just a thought that works for me...cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 09/26/17 at 11:38 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Sorry, Eva. Guess I'm not seeing what others are, although the cracks look they have some potential.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/27/17 at 11:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

Great job eliminating the horrible atmospheric conditions!  I too find the erratics fascinating, but even more so I love the cracks, lines, shapes and geometry revealed in the granite slabs.  You have combined the two wonderfully in the frame.

Not to be to repetitive, I do agree with the tightness. And expand that a bit further and wish there was a tad more room all the way around.  but that's a minor point.  I think the tension created in the frame does add to the impression this image has.

The only other suggestion might be to burn down the bright rock in the LRC.  Otherwise well seen and a great takeaway from the high country of Yosemite.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/27/17 at 11:11 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Real nice abstract, Eva.  I agree with some of the other posters comments, but very minor stuff. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/01/17 at 11:21 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a fine, stone abstract, Eva.  The variety of subtle colors and textures in the main rock mass look great.  The scattered erratics are well placed in the frame.  I'd try dodging the bit of green at the bottom to bring out some color, thinking it would be a nice change of pace with respect to the rest of the view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 10/07/17 at 05:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

I love this location Eva and your photo does it justice. The cracks and the boulders go really well together.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership