Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

One more time
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 09/23/17 at 1:20 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ok, so here's one more from the bottom of Stair Falls.  We're milking this one!

This one is pretty much a combo of my previous versions. This one here combines the upper section as well as the extension of the rocks at the bottom.  Although this is a single and different image than the previous two.

I must say, and admit, I am quite happy that I was able to come away with some likeable images from this location.  As Preston can attest, I because quite moody during this shoot.  Something really odd was happening with my camera.  After capturing an image, the preview on the screen was way, way underexposed.  How could this be? It's on Aperture priority. This was randomly happening during the day but got worse at this location.  I kept firing away, and was able to get some frames that were close to being properly exposed.  Long story short, it turns out my cheap off-brand cable release was causing the problem.  The one thing I do not care for with the Nikon is the 10-pin socket and the location where you screen in the cable release. A pain.  Anyway, it took me the rest of the night to correct my mood.  Sorry PB!

Here's a case where the image makes up for the experience, I think.

thanks for any comments, suggestions or critiques.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/23/17 at 6:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Hey, All: Be sure you view the large version of this image!

I think this is the best of your Stair Falls images, Lon. The light and color are excellent, especially on the rocks at the bottom. Since I was there, I can say that the light was very difficult to work with. This has a nice mood and flow, not only of the water, but also the stone.

Yes, your consternation was pretty evident, but I am glad you persevered, rather than giving up. The results here speak to that.

Well, there was nothing like a good dinner, a beer or three around the campfire under a gorgeous sky among the granite walls, with a hint of a breeze sighing through the firs to improve the mood! No need to apologize, sir.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/23/17 at 8:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow. This is nice too. It's a stronger composition than the other one. It's always difficult comparing images that have different scopes - one closer than the other. I think prefer the other one more because it's more about the water and the water looks better on a darker background. I also find the other more emotionally compelling. Although, this one has emotional impact also. It's a tossup. I like the jumble of rocks more than that single rock. I also like the greenish tint to this brown more than the straight brown. I guess the overriding quality I like in the other one was the chiaroscuro effect of using light vs dark more strongly.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 09/23/17 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

This easily my favorite of the three. The glow on the jumble of rocks is wonderful, a beautiful image. Lon, why can't you use a wireless remote for the Nikon?

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 09/24/17 at 12:32 am EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

I have been away for some time, so I missed the earlier ones, but I like this one!! And, after my first issue with cheapo cable releases (failed after about 3 weeks), I decided to shell 60 bucks for the original Sony. Never again had any problem.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/24/17 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This one is real nice, but I much prefer Cascade Temple. Better light, better comp to my eye. 

H

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/24/17 at 11:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning golden light in this one Lon.  I love the composition too.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 09/25/17 at 08:59 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Lon, this has been a very nice series, and one of my favorite subjects. I prefer the softer light in this version, but I like the centered composition of Cascade Temple. Glad to hear you figured out the camera issues...those can be frustrating.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 09/27/17 at 01:27 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A delicate looking scene - almost fragile in nature. I love this aspect of the photograph. I suppose this is due to the composition and the luminosity in the flowing water.

Very nice!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/02/17 at 4:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Here is an image with a similar approach by Pete Hyde:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39281598@N04/20734355056/sizes/c/

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership