Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ancient Rubix - Retitle +Alt
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 09/19/17 at 1:37 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 09/20/17 at 6:00 pm EST

Thanks again for your comments and observations on my previous post. Mucho appreciated.

Third and final image from the burned out insides of a Western Juniper up on a granite slab on Sonora Pass.  This frame was above my head so I used a 4-image stack to try and get all in focus.  I also has Preston hold a small gold reflector to illuminate the underside of the charcoal checkers.  Blues still remain from the open sky above.

I guess there's only so many charred trunks one can view, but as always your comments, critiques and suggestions always welcome.

Thanks!

Lon

Edit:  DOH!  Great minds must think alike.... I did not realize that Preston's earlier post, still on first page, was the exact image title I used!  I swear I didn't copy it! Honest.  But somewhere down in the sub-conscious, I'm sure it registered and that's how I came up with the title.  So I've renamed and also put an updated version in the comments below.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 09/19/17 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am not tired of them yet, Lon. cool You guys came away with some lovely intimate scenes packed with some amazing details and textures that were thoroughly enjoyable. Great idea with the gold reflector as it has created some lovely warm light on the char. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 09/19/17 at 10:52 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments
Comment last edited by Wayne Jones on 09/19/17 at 10:53 pm EST

Now I am really sorry I have not been visiting NPN recently!  Catching up, I enjoy all three of these.  (I think I like "Charthedral" best because of the scale and the variety of the black and brown sessions), but this closer look is fascinating in its own way.  That gold reflector to work with the blue sky reflections was a great idea, as was the forethought to bring an "assistant."  :-)

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 09/20/17 at 12:05 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

I liked all three, but favor this one...might be the gold tones.  

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 09/20/17 at 04:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

The gold reflector has added a nice warm coloration which nicely compliments the cooler tones. The resulting shine adds to the abstract feel. 

You have made some lovely intimiate portraits of this tree in your recent trip to Sonora Pass. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/20/17 at 11:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another fine image from SP. The gold reflector worked really well. I might clone out the light spot a little below and to the right of center, but pretty minor. I like it!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 09/20/17 at 1:46 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Lon, you always have a way of creating a very artistic image from the simplest things. The play of light and textures really make this image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 09/20/17 at 2:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Textures, lines, reflected light, colors---all wonderful in this series. I preferred the more blue one until you put this one up. This is simply perfect!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/20/17 at 3:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, this is excellent abstract from this old burned out tree / log. The reflective light worked nicely in digging out some of the hidden crevice areas very well. The white or light areas do not appear too hot either. Hard to balance between the extreme dark of the burned out hulk and the highlights. But very well done in that respect.
Looking at the larger version and studying all those individual nodules it's amazing to see all of the many patterns almost like DNA or fingerprints of each one. Very fine work as always......laugh  

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/20/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Whoa. This really comes alive with the black background of the large version. This sparkle of that charred surface just jumps out. I don't know what to compare it. A cracked mirror? It's really interesting to compare this to the first one. I liked the colors more in that one but it looks flat compared to this. There is so much more sparkle here. I find the composition a bit busy (the eye doesn't know where to settle). I read a quote by Floris where he admits his busy composition. "What's wrong with that? I want people to go searching across the entire canvas".

I think there could be done some experimentation with color in this image. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/20/17 at 5:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Here is a repost after some offline feedback from Preston.  I masked off the brighter char along the left side and brought down the brightness a little.  I also tweaked some contrast in targeted areas AND ended up cloning out lots of little white specs, much smaller than Harley's suggestion.

Thanks for the comments!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/20/17 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments
Comment last edited by Preston Birdwell on 09/20/17 at 6:32 pm EST

Well, sir, you really did not need to change the title, even though filed a copyright on it enlightened, but the new one is cool.

The reworked version looks great! The light is much better balanced across the image. Good job! Always happy to assist with your reflector. The gold adds a fine dimension to this old beauty.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 09/21/17 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

I really like the metallic look to this.  Nice combination of color and textures, too.  Surprising how a burnt up tree can produce such a nice image.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/21/17 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

For a thief, you did a fine job on the rework. Looks great!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/23/17 at 09:43 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 09/23/17 at 09:43 am EST

Something about these that are really interesting to see, Lon. The combination of light, patterns, textures and colors just seem to keep one looking at it. The gold reflector worked out great and I really like the sheen this has. Pretty cool.
The repost even better!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Anderson on 09/25/17 at 09:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 346 Posts, 2696 Comments

Love the iridescence !

My Website My Instagram  My Facebook 500px 

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Anderson Gallery of Matt Anderson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/25/17 at 11:02 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Just a wonderful combination of color and pattern Lon.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership