Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Summer Heat
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 09/18/17 at 7:12 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Most images of Baja California show the edge of the peninsula at the sea. These are often of stately cacti as foreground. Yet after living there last year I felt that this was not what the peninsula was really about. So I decided to challenge myself to capture what it really was about. This picture was taken with that goal in mind at the time.

I realize that this sort of image is not everyone's cup of tea but a few do like this sort of thing.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@60mm, 1/8 sec, f/19, iso 100, tripod, cpl

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 09/18/17 at 9:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I love these kinds of images. I'm just not very good at "seeing" them myself. This image to me conveys heat and arridness, the opposite of verdant. Well done.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 09/19/17 at 02:30 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Yes I like the soft intimates, the coloring is subtle, a lot to enjoy in this spreading tangle of forms.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/19/17 at 11:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

This certainly captures and tells a great nature story about the place.  The reason for me is the inclusion of the barren soil, LL.  Add what I'm pretty sure is a highly tolerant drought-resistant plant and the story is complete.  The combination of these elements I think realizes your goal of what this area is about.

Artistically and personally, I'm drawn to the plant itself; delicate red branches held together by the spiny, chaotic center.  I may have tried to exclude the barren soil, but obviously that changes  your experience and what you saw and are nicely portraying.  Difference is, I wasn't there. ;-)  And so I don't have the experience to draw from.

As presented, the processing, colors, etc. are spot on.  It shows the harsh environment, but it's lovely at the same time.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 09/19/17 at 11:13 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Congratulations on undertaking such a noble challenge!

I am another student of nature (more so than a student of photography) who enjoys intimate scenes like this, even though I have extreme difficulty putting them together.  I admire you composition as well as your success in telling the story of this habitat.   

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 09/20/17 at 02:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

I find myself immediately drawn towards an image such as this one. It says more about the bond between the artist and the landscape than the landscape itself. The composition is sophisticated, offering complexity, a generous dose of chaos and a hint of imbalance that forces me to take the time to study it carefully. I also admire the fact that it relies more on the art of seeing -- a rarity these days -- than heavy handed post-processing techniques. A wonderful example of fine-art photography.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 09/20/17 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Very enjoyable Igor.  I really love images like this, and yet I find it so very difficult to properly compose these images effectively.  This is composed perfectly IMHO.  I enjoy not only the main subject and I enjoy exploring the ground for small details, textures, and color as well.  Excellent photography, my friend.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/20/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very nicely done, Igor. The detail and textures are nicely realized. I especially like the structure of the main bush. It has a tortured, yet elegant look.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/25/17 at 10:53 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

This is one of the type of images it is easy for me to flip by, but it really comes into its own if I slow down and take the time to study it. I really enjoy the interweaving of the white and red of the central plant.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/26/17 at 12:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I showed this image to my art friend tonight and her reaction was that it was 'gentle'. So now we have 'gentle' and 'tortured'. And I think both are appropriate.

Thank you for your comments. I'm always interested in how people react to my images on a gut level.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 09/30/17 at 1:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments
Comment last edited by Peter Richter on 09/30/17 at 1:01 pm EST

Igor, this image is at least my cup of tea! I almost perceive it as an abstract and appreciate the balanced composition as well as the subtlety of the patterns and colors.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership