Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Eva's Tiers Drop
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 09/16/17 at 2:47 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Some times I just can't help playing with words...  And actually the title is more than words.  Now Preston can tell the story because he knows it... but I'll try and get it close.  These falls are named Eva's Falls because there was a firefighter, or someone named Eva who died near hear. Again, Preston has the full scoop and I don't want to over state what happened, but the play on words where joining the term "tiers" to reflect the actual cascades, but also "tears" to pay tribute to someone who has left us.  I guess I didn't need to explain that.....

Anyway, this is a single image at f/16 and 1/10s.  Same falls as one Preston posted a while back. This one from a slightly different angle and of course a tighter comp.  I liked how the 4 tiers are defined and created by the granite.  I tried to portray the color of the rock as true as I could - at least from what I can remember.

Thanks for any and all comments and critiques!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/16/17 at 5:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Prior to commenting on your fine image, Lon, I would like to give a little history about how the name came about.

Seven firefighters with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) were overrun by fire Sunday afternoon, September 12, 2004 in the Tuolumne River Canyon on the Tuolumne Fire in the Stanislaus National Forest. There was one fatality: Eva Marie Schicke. She was 23 years old. The fire fighters were members of Columbia Helitac, based at Columbia airport, CA.

At the time I was the chief at the Columbia College Fire Department, and a volunteer Captain with Tuolumne County Fire. Her death hit all of us pretty hard, so I named this lovely waterfall in her memory. Every time I visit this place, I think of her.
I think this image works very nicely. The cloud cover really helped to tame the contrast, allowing the subtle details, especially in the water to be nicely realized. The color of the granite looks as I remember it. The composition is wonderful, and the image captures the essence of this lovely place, and my feelings about it.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/16/17 at 5:52 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 09/17/17 at 02:55 am EST

Part of CA120 is actually named after her which is a great tribute.  I saw the road was named after her before the white knuckle descent to the Sonora valley.  Nice exposure Lon and I certainly love the detail in the rocks.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 09/16/17 at 8:26 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is wonderful, Lon. Your impeccable composition and PP shines through. Beautiful as presented. No nits.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/16/17 at 9:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

What's interesting about this image is that the water is of secondary importance. To me this image is mostly about the boulders. The arrangement of them with the water forms a fine composition. The color seems a bit overly warm for granite but I've seen granite like this (Joshua NP for instance). 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/17/17 at 09:18 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 09/17/17 at 09:19 am EST

Lon, the moderately smooth flowing water looks great against the rugged granite surroundings.  The 4 steps lead wonderfully through the view.   The touch of green works very well in adding some emotional warmth.  It a great view that fits the naming story very well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/17/17 at 12:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/17/17 at 12:03 pm EST

Excellent diagonal flow on this waterfall, Lon. These boulders sure make this an aesthetically pleasing fall too. I like this composition very much.....laugh
Very well named too.....enlightened
I'd recalled Preston's bit of history on this site from a few years back now. A fine tribute to this young lady.......cheeky

I might go for a tiny bit of sat/contrast here. But, you know how us V-50 types are......sad

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 09/17/17 at 3:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I particularly like your POV here as it shows off the four tiers of the falls perfectly, Lon. The details and textures really shine in the large version and your SS choice works beautifully as it has created some nice textures in the water. One minor suggestion would be to crop or clone in some rock in the URC. Small point as this works beautifully as is.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/17/17 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Of these recent images, I like this one the best. The composition is so charming, the water texture looks great, and the patterned granite hems it all in nicely.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/18/17 at 09:50 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Very sweet composition and scene, Lon. It is a personal preference, but I would kick up the red saturation a bit. Great takeaway from there!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 09/18/17 at 12:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Really like this Lon. Great comp with the diagonal of the cascades cutting across the opposing diagonals of the rocks.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 09/20/17 at 04:41 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A superb rendition of this little scene. The contrast between the stolid boulders and the fast flowing stream is striking. 

It is always a pleasure to see your carefully constructed photographs.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership