Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Veratrum Splendor
Photo posted by Albert Darmo in the Landscape gallery on 09/14/17 at 12:56 pm EST
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Post last edited by Albert Darmo on 09/14/17 at 9:45 pm EST

A beautiful evening golden  light  was  setting upon  the forest  veratrum  plants         comments appreciated

D300  17-55 f2.8  @  18mm     f/20 ...   1/3  sec . iso  200       tripod

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 09/14/17 at 2:15 pm EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Definitely splendiferous light.  They seem to go on forever!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/14/17 at 6:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This has excellent depth. The plants and the background trees look very nice. One thing I will suggest is try to pull some detail out of the very dark areas between the plants in the foreground. I find those areas distracting. The light is wonderful.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/14/17 at 10:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful light and scene. The dark areas mentioned by Preston don't bother me a bit. Looks natural to my eye (especially for an old Velvia shooter in the past). 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/15/17 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Albert,

Such beautiful light on the veratrum, I love the greens as they really pop in this image.  And they pop of course due to the light, but also the contrast and the darkness below.  I'm a little torn about it. Harley's right in that this makes me think of Velvia that couldn't hadn't shadows well and so I'm wishing for a little more detail.  Not that I need to see any detail, but that jet black is a little strong.  Having said that, overall the scene works beautifull.  I like the balance and portions between the lily plants and the trees up top, also that give this image some depth.

The golden light up top is even a bonus - where most times a strip of bright at the top might be a distraction.  Very minor, but there are some patches of strong yellow along that top strip. Not sure if I would address that, I guess mainly if you are to ever print this.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/15/17 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Beautiful golden light and rich greens Albert.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/15/17 at 6:50 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I like the flow of the Veratrum into the wooded area in the background, a nice variation from the top down view that we commonly get. The top edge does have some bright spots, but I think overall it fits with the lighting in the scene.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership