Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Eons +2 Alts
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 09/11/17 at 11:47 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 09/12/17 at 4:25 pm EST

Greetings and thanks for the comments on my previous image.  Gonna mix things up with a b&w processed image of Split Falls on Deadman's Creek, Sonora Pass (That's what we call it anyway.)  This is actually the same falls of Preston's recent post "Water and Stone."  Actually Preston's image is not included in this view; his was a little right of this and included the bottom.  Scale wise, his image is probably smaller than 1/4 of this one.  We were also standing nearly together and again, come away with different views and interpretations.

This one here would like pretty good in color but I decided to go with the more contrast and impact with B&W.  I tend to favor the longer exposures and was testing out my new variable ND filter.  But there's still texture and patterns in the water.

Would love your thoughts, critiques and suggestions. Single frame.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/11/17 at 12:40 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Superb water texture, and the composition works very well for me. The tones of the rocks and water are very similar though, and I wonder if making the rocks darker with the water remaining light would add to the drama? (I don't know what the original colors are, but there may be a mask hiding in the channels that would let you separate the rocks and the water easily?)

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/11/17 at 1:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful view of the falls. I love the metallic look to the rock. The B&W interpretation is working really well.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 09/11/17 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Well done, Lon.  Lovely composition, perfect shutter speed, and wonderful texture in the rocks.  My only concern, and I really don't know that it's a concern because I'm looking at this on my uncalibrated work monitor, is the shadows might could be opened up just a "wee" bit.  Very little actually.  I'll check this out again when I get home this evening to see if that's actually a valid comment.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 09/11/17 at 4:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Lon, I think this would be gorgeous as a metallic print; the water and rocks already have that metallic quality!  Well done.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/11/17 at 5:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Personally I am more attracted to the upper cascade than the falls. But those cascades are chopped off. I would really like to see them fully exposed by having space above them. As things stand they are taking attention from the falls so I would crop just above the top right dark rock in the falls, which would also serve the purpose of not making the cascade look incomplete. 

I like the simplicity of the falls. Their uninterrupted straight borders framed by rocks. The glistening rocks look appealing. I agree with the idea of trying to raise the shadows in the rocks but I'm not sure how that would look. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 09/11/17 at 5:33 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Lon, the processing is just super and I too like the metallic look mentioned already. I really like the added crosscut slices in all of the rocks, especially the upper most ones. They seem to add nicely to the underlying areas behind the water veils. 
I do maybe wish for slightly more room at the top, but will not second guess the thought there as it maybe an area not needed or wanted.
I can't add too much beyond the other thoughts already listed here...a very fine image.......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/11/17 at 10:07 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 09/11/17 at 10:09 pm EST

I love this view Lon.  The water exposure is spot on for me and I love the textures and details in the rocks.  The metallic look is the ultimate goal in B&W IMHO.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/12/17 at 1:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This looks great to me, Lon! The tonal range and luminosity are excellent! The detail is superb.

Just a note about this spot: Just above the top of the image there are dry rocks and bushes. Lon's framing works well, in my opinion. We were fortunate to have some cloud cover that softened the light.

No nits or suggestions, here. Well done, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/12/17 at 4:24 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  Here are 2 different views of the falls. One a little wider vertical with a little more up top.  As Preston mentions, the top of the falls is problematic and there isn't really a clean cut anywhere.  The horizontal version shows the complete upper area. I also included color for John's comments regarding trying to separate the rock and water.  Not a lot to pull from in terms of masking. My approach was simply more burning, utilizing the B&W/Luminosity layer as well as TK's original Triple Plays.

The repost of the b&w vertical is actually a blend of 2 images with slightly different shutter speeds.  As will often happen, the longer the shutter speed, the less detail and more likely to blow out some areas.  So I blended 2 images to mitigate issues with detail and blown highlights in the water.

Feedback is so, so valuable in developing images, so thank you so much for the observations and suggestions!

Lon

ps. Wider view showing another channel.  Preston's intimate image here is still not included, it's off frame to the right, for reference

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/12/17 at 4:25 pm EST    

Color version to show the top of the cascades as well as for showing color variation.

Thanks for looking!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/12/17 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The second B&W for me!!!!  Most definitely. To my eye, that absolutely nails it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/12/17 at 8:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like them all for different reasons. Any chance of seeing the color version is b&w?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/13/17 at 2:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The second B&W for me!!!!  Most definitely. To my eye, that absolutely nails it. 

Absolutely! While I really like the original image, the second B&W carries the day for me! Excellent, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/13/17 at 3:12 pm EST    

May I thread stomp and post a couple of images?

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/13/17 at 3:16 pm EST    

Thanks for the comments folks!

John, by all means, please feel free to stomp all you want!  The interaction is great and we all can learn some things!

Thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/13/17 at 3:34 pm EST    
Comment last edited by John Williams on 09/13/17 at 3:40 pm EST

(Please click on the image to view on a dark background.) Here's a quick and dirty edit to show what I was trying to say with words. (And by quick, I mean about 5 minutes. I'm not ultra-fast at editing, and with more time it could certainly be improved, but hopefully it gets the idea across.) ...more info in the next post.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/13/17 at 3:40 pm EST    
Comment last edited by John Williams on 09/13/17 at 3:41 pm EST

...and here's the mask that I was hoping was hiding in one of the channels; it allowed me to apply separate curves to the water and rock. I used the b channel of lab to build it, and that helped make it quick and simple. (I actually timed making this, and it was a little over 2 1/2 of those 5.)  If that doesn't make sense to some, we could get a thread going in the Digital Imaging Forum.

Now, as to whether you would actually want to make a BW like the above post, that's a bigger question. cool

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 09/13/17 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Outstanding, intimate water scene, Lon. I for one, prefer the silky water and composition in the first. Exposure is spot on revealing wonderful texture in the water. Processing looks great. No nits.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/13/17 at 10:33 pm EST    

John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to show what you were trying to describe. Actually I pretty much knew what you were describing, although honestly, not to the degree of your posted example.  Granted, the post in this thread is grossly darker than when you actually click on the image. It's also not a fair start when one is working from a low rez screenshot, so that must be considered.

Thank you for the mask image as well.  I have actually been using a LAB mode layer quite a bit in my workflow, but not for actually creating masks.  thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out.

Understanding the limitations and how NPN is displaying images in comments, for me, I think the tones of the rock are too dark.  Clearly you've accomplished separating the water from the rock. for me, it's a little too far.

I'm wondering... this may be a good sample image to offer up as a "Processing challenge."  I think we toyed around with this before. Wondering if anyone would be interested.  You have someone post a reasonably sized image and challenge folks to do their best.  Maybe I'll post this in the discussion forum.

Thanks John and everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/14/17 at 10:36 am EST    

Good deal Lon; points taken. (My monitor was due for recalibration this morning, and unfortunately I agree my edit is much darker; sorry about that. No biggie, it was mostly about the mask anyway.) I think a Processing Challenge image would be fun. By discussion forum, do you mean the Landscape Photo.?

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership