Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Meadow Classic
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 09/06/17 at 10:45 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Lon Overacker on 09/06/17 at 10:47 pm EST

Thanks for your comments on my previous post.  I appreciate like everyone when folks comment and critique our work!

Was struggling for a title on this one.  It's simple, and I guess a classic alpine meadow landscape; nothing earth shattering or dramatic, just simple. Hence the simple title.  But I think it captures the essence of the meadows that are found in the Sierra, and especially those up on the Sonora Pass.  One of the somewhat unique hints of this area is the pink/salmon colored feldspar in the granite rocks and boulders that cover the area.  I tried to render the colors to keep the rocks natural, even though they aren't the main story here.

I just liked the pleasing arrangement of the elements.  I hope you do to.  I am posting though knowing that I have a small processing flaw. I'd like to see if you can point it out to me.  Of course it's minor and I may or may not have commented on it if it weren't mine, but am curious to see if anyone picks it up.

This is a 4-image stack for depth and a slight crop off the top.  Your comments and critiques are more than welcome!

Thanks for looking.  And do we really need to remind folks of the large view?  angel 

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 09/07/17 at 1:45 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The large version contains some wonderful crisp details, Lon. This looks like a place where you could spend a while and come away with some additional comps. You filled the frame beautifully and I particularly like the placement of the clump  grasses in the LRC. Nicely done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/07/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I always admire your greens. They are the perfect blend of green, yellow, and cyan. This image is a perfect example of that.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/07/17 at 2:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Pretty little high country meadow scene. Very rich and lush. I can't say that I am seeing any flaw, but I am viewing on a laptop and even with a 15.5" screen, the image is not huge. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/08/17 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the arrangement of the elements here, Lon. It definitely gives the feel of a high meadow.

The left top of the boulder on the far left is more grey than the rest of that rock. Also, there is a dried flower near cent left that catches my eye. Both items are minor. I like this a lot.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 09/08/17 at 12:44 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

For such a seemingly simple scene, this is pretty complex.  Your composition was well thought out and executed.  I just love corn lilies 9wish we had them here!).  I think the rocks make it a much stronger image as does the diagonal FG stick.  Nice work, Pal.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/09/17 at 12:03 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful intimate, Lon.  Not sure about the flaw, cause I can't find anything major, could be because I've been a road warrior the last few day, and I can barely keep my eyes open.  Perhaps the blue in the water of the little trickle by your watermark is a bit out of character.  Like you say, not earth shattering, but very, very solid.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/09/17 at 11:43 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments and observations folks!

Good call on the UL rock Preston. I see it and know why.  I burned down that rock and in doing so lost some color. I'm wondering now and think if one burns with the layer in Luminosity blend mode, if that might mitigate color changes when burning and dodging... hmmm.

So I guess there were at least 2, actually 3 "flaws."  Preston caught two of them, but weren't the ones I was thinking. Gary got the closest with noticing the blue in the bit of water lower right.  What I was thinking was that the stick in the same area was also a bit too blue.  Not a bit deal, but something I'll probably work on.

thanks again!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership