Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Monocline + note
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 09/04/17 at 11:57 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 09/06/17 at 01:13 am EST

It's a challenge to try to guess where these little shape shifting storms will line up with some sort of land feature.  Sometimes you get lucky, but mostly you end up being in the wrong spot or the storm dissipates.  Anyway, this is from a couple of nights ago.

iso 200, 24-105 @ 58mm, f/8, 1/125s

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/05/17 at 12:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Well you've certainly mastered clouds in b&w. This sky is downright biblical. In the sense that 18th and 19th century artists depicted it. William Blake. Dore's illustrations from Paradise Lost. It's like that picture from Sunday school where Abraham is poised to kill his sone and God's arm appears through those clouds and holds Abraham by the wrist.

The only issue s that wedge in the llc. A combination of small cropping and cloning should do the trick.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/05/17 at 09:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

A downright excellent sky! Igor is far more well-read than I am, but I do agree with his crop and clone suggestion!  sad  I like it!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 09/05/17 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Very nice combo of clouds and land, Gary.  The B&W makes it feel more ominous.  You had some great clouds.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/05/17 at 1:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Gary, you are definitely the 'cloud master'. I really like this. The clouds, of course, are the star here, but the mountains add a fine anchor. I am on the fence with the crop/close suggestion because the wedge in the lower left cornier supports the curve of the dark
wedge in the lower right corner. I do see a slight halo on the right skyline of the central peak, but that is minor. This is a well crafted image!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/06/17 at 01:26 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Thanks so much for your comments.  I posted this last night around 10:00 and as soon as it uploaded we had a power outage that lasted until 2:00 am.  I'm a stickler these days about halo's and my file was fine, but compression can highlight those high contrast transitions.  I  like to post an image and then make sure it looks alright after upload.  After driving 10 hours today, I finally got a look at the image and was bummed about the halo on the right side.  Oh well, can't do much to fix it at this point. 

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/06/17 at 10:14 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The textures in the clouds are great, Gary.  Another outstanding catch of a nasty looking storm.  Getting the monocline to point in the same direction as the clouds is a nice touch.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/06/17 at 1:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Yet another glorious and dramatic sky.  The contrast and tonal range in those clouds is excellent.  Great job incorporating the landscape, although really the landscape and monocline is just a nice anchor feature.  If anything, a minor suggestion I have would be to burn down the wash area to the right of the monocline (honestly, I had to look that up - a bit weak on geology.)  I dunno, I guess that lighter area does provide some separation in the landscape, so I guess it's really not a big deal.  In the end, this is all about the drama in the clouds.

Halo?  Can't tell and never would have noticed. I guess I can see it since you pointed it out, but it's not worth mentioning, unless you ever decide to print. Even then, negligible. 

Great work as always

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 09/06/17 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

You always seem to catch these drama laden skies, Gary. This scene is dripping with mood and those mountains provide a nice anchor to this beautiful desert landscape. Gorgeous work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 09/06/17 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The clouds are terrific, the land does not add enough interest for me in this one....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/07/17 at 02:26 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Another B&W master piece Gary.  The sky is definitely the star of the show.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership