Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Lower Yosemite Falls
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 08/20/17 at 02:25 am EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Lower Yosemite Falls in 1995 taken on a family trip with my sister and her son and our two sons.  We will be visiting California again in less than two weeks...... Lake Tahoe, Mono Lake, Eastern Sierras, Bodie Ghost Town, Yosemite National Park driving Tioga Road East to West, Yosemite Valley, (canceled our visit to Wawona due to the fire) Sonora (more ghost towns), and finally Calistoga to check out Veraison Restaurant and visit with my sister, and of course go wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. Hopefully our son who is on a USFS fuels crew in Tahoe National Forest can catch up with us in Lake Tahoe and Calistoga.

Thanks for having a look.  Yosemite always screams B&W to me.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ana on 08/20/17 at 09:55 am EST    
Registered on 02/10/04, 191 Posts, 1446 Comments

I enjoyed viewing this; tones are handled beautifully and I love the contrast of the water against the rock and all the framing brings out a lot of the nice curves in both the rock layers and the water.  The bright spot in the lower left competes a little for my attention, but that's a very tiny nit.

--Ana

All Photos and Comments by Ana

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 08/20/17 at 12:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

No matter how many times I see these falls, I'm just in awe, including most all photographs.  And despite this classic view, you captured a very strong and powerful image of Yosemite.  I think the conversion, the contrast and the tonal range throughout are excellent.

I'll echo Ana's only suggestion about toning down or dealing with the brighter rock in the LLC, but that's fairly minor.

Sounds like a whirlwind tour of CA you've got coming up.  And when you mentioned Sonora and more ghost towns, are your talking about Columbia St. Park?  You might keep an eye out for Preston as he is known to spend a good deal of time in Columbia - oh yeah, that's where he lives!  Have a great trip!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 08/20/17 at 3:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Eva, this is a very nice rendition of the falls. The tonal scale is excellent, and you have held good detail in the water. I also like the texture in the granite walls.

...Sonora (more ghost towns)

I live in a 'ghost town'? I could not tell because of the traffic...and Walmart. enlightened 
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 08/20/17 at 5:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a beauty, Eva. The range of tones is excellent and your chosen SS has rendered the water with some nice details. My only suggestion is the already mentioned rock in the LLC. BTW the B&W conversion works beautifully.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/20/17 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Beautiful b/w Eva.  It just screams Yosemite.  Tones are spot on.  I'm on board with a tiny crop to just above the brightest spots LLC.  Very well done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/20/17 at 7:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very dramatic take on Yosemite Falls, Eva. Really brings out the ruggedness and beauty of this area. Well done. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 08/20/17 at 11:20 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Great composition and BW processing Eva.  As others have mentioned, those bright rocks in the lower left are somewhat distracting.  Maybe they could be darkened instead of cropping them out.  Very nice.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 08/21/17 at 05:24 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Incredibly detailed image, Eva. I like a lot how you use the light and make a gorgeous B&W conversion. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 08/23/17 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is very nice, Eva!  The B&W conversion looks great with deep tonal contrasts and I like how you have conveyed the power of the falls. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 08/27/17 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Nice combo of BW with the power of the rock and falls Eva.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership