Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Dreams
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 08/11/17 at 2:02 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This image is of a salt flat in the early morning in Baja California. There is usually a fog over the water that settles at night and slowly burns off in the morning. This is also a time when there is virtually no wind. So that's an added bonus for this time of day. This was taken almost 2 years ago now.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@24mm, f/18, 1/4sec, iso 100, tripod, CPL

I went easy on the clarity and reduced the contrast to emphasize the dreaminess of the subject here. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 08/11/17 at 2:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Stunning image, Igor, absolutely stunning in my opinion.  The lower contrast and that beautiful, ethereal light definitely creates a dream-like feel.  Superb how the pattern in the foreground mirrors the shape of the clouds on the left hand side.  This reminds me of some of the seascape images from Joel Meyerwitz's Cape Light.  A couple of suggestions; first is to examine the extreme upper left hand corner which appears a bit darker than you likely intended; perhaps a mask that did not reach entirely to the corner's edge.  My other suggestion is to print this very large and get it on the wall, if you haven't already.  A phenomenal fine art image.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 08/11/17 at 5:43 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I really like the soft pastel colors, the sweet light and the depth of the image. I also agree with Vance's comments.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/11/17 at 6:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Vance, thanks for the reference to Joel Meyerwitz. I was not aware of his work but found this you tube link to his 'Cape Light', which I enjoyed watching. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP9UWrMNVnU

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 08/11/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Fine art.  Love this. 

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 08/11/17 at 9:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

That is surprisingly beautiful light.  The comp and light just work perfectly together here. 

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 08/12/17 at 11:33 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The soft tones work very well to create a relaxing image.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 08/12/17 at 2:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Dreamy, indeed. Wonderful softness to this one, such subtle colors and even though the horizon is in the middle, the top and bottoms halves are quite different in color and tone, so it works well. Superb.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/12/17 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Bravo, Igor.   I love the thin line of distant shore and the sky mirroring the foreground.  Understated and beautiful.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/12/17 at 6:33 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, I love this image! Excellent composition with such wonderful colors and light. A true Fine Art image with a beautiful feel. The understated processing is perfect and I sure appreciate that you did it that way. Wonderful work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 08/13/17 at 12:00 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The kudos are well deserved, not just nice light, but nice processing...
That being said, I think lowering the exposure a tad would make this a richer looking image.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/13/17 at 07:25 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments
Comment last edited by scott lanz on 08/13/17 at 07:26 am EST

Beautiful image, Igor. Has an infinity pool look to it. The soft light and your soft processing work very well. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 08/13/17 at 4:34 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is very nice, Igor.  I especially like the way that the clouds sort of mirror the foreground land and the way that they form a sideways V in the composition.  Great eye to see and capture this symmetry.  In the extreme upper left hand corner there is some vignetting perhaps from the polarizer - that should be an easy fix. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/14/17 at 01:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Hello Igor,

This is a marvelous photograph. The softness (which I suppose is a combination of the foggy conditions and your deft processing) really makes this appear to be a scene from a dream. I am also getting the feeling that I am looking at this view from a great height ... giving the impression that I am flying among the clouds. The composition is simple, yet complex at the same time, which makes it very interesting.

One of the best images I have seen here...

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 08/14/17 at 09:59 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, I have nothing to say that hasn't been said, but will simply say that this is very, very nice. The title is very fitting.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 08/18/17 at 7:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Abstract and dreamy. I love the soft colors and the warm/cool color contrast. Nicely done ,Igor.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 08/19/17 at 11:02 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

This is exquisite.Simplicity at its best, yet full of things to explore. One of those details that adds to the image is the thin line of the far shore and especially the illumination of that shore on the left.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the only suggestion I have would be to clone out the filter vignette in the ULC. At least that what it looks like to me.

Wonderful imagery.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership