Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Migration
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 08/08/17 at 12:15 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I have spent a lot of time working and reworking this image.  I guess the larger question is "Does it work?".  Sometimes you just can't get away from an image, even if you should.sad.  

iso 200, 70-200 @ 70mm, f/11, 1/160s, 

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Probably better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 08/08/17 at 01:48 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Best yet...
Great eye.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/08/17 at 07:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Fine image and a great series, Gary. I like seeing the bigger landscape view as part of the same series, including being able to see out to the open water. This one does not have quite the same visual impact for me as the first two, maybe because it is less abstract, but I like it especially as part of the series. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 08/08/17 at 10:57 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The strong contrast in the waves of sand work very well here, Gary.  I also like how the scattered bright areas are distributed.  I'm having mixed feelings about the open water at the top.  Sometimes I like the context that it adds, other times I think I like the more abstract view with it cropped...  Regardless of that choice, it's a neat look at your "vision".

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/08/17 at 11:24 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, I like this one a lot and it is right up there with your last post imo. This comp works great and I like the open area across the top edge. Really interesting shapes and patterns that I enjoy looking at. The Wisconsin River has been high all summer this year so I haven't been able to see any of these so far. After seeing your pictures it makes me want to try and photograph them again. Very nice series!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 08/08/17 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 08/09/17 at 11:13 pm EST

This one works for me, Gary. I like the slim strip of open water, and the sand ripple shapes below seem to be flying toward it--(hence the title?) I can imagine a slight increase in contrast or perhaps just a lift of the mid-tone.  It works as part of the series, for sure.  On its own, I think so.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 08/08/17 at 4:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

It is almost inevitable to start comparing images of the same subject in a series, while each should be considered in its own right. This one has some strong global diagonal lines interrupted by the wild shapes created by the water level. The open water on top prevents it from 'going on forever' which is something I like. Compared to the previous two images it lacks some unity. The first one of the series shows a relatively simple shape, while the little sand ridge winding through the second image creates tension. Each of them works and they certainly do work as a triple. The low light beautifully accentuates the ripples and I like the contrast between the dry ripples and the ripples under water. If I were to choose only one, it would probably be the second. But if you have more like this...

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rick Turner on 08/09/17 at 09:28 am EST    
Registered on 02/18/12, 534 Posts, 2755 Comments

Another killer Gary. Great eye and tones.

Rick Turner
Dallas

"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships"..
Ansel Adams

Keep on Shooting!
God Bless Texas!!!!!!

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rick Turner Gallery of Rick Turner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 08/09/17 at 11:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 08/09/17 at 11:15 pm EST

Not sure why my posts have an ad in them.  My apologies!
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 08/11/17 at 04:07 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments
Comment last edited by Mattia Oliviero on 08/11/17 at 04:07 am EST

It works, Gary, it works. I would really like to see your three images side by side from the more detailed to the broader hanged on a wall. I was also wondering which kind of colors might be hiding behind this b&w images. Great work!

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/11/17 at 6:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Interesting abstract in that it's suggestive of many thing. To me it looks a bit threatening as I see stealth with approaching alligators. Graphically speaking I don't think this image is quite as strong as the previous two. The others were more abstract and distinctive in terms of texture and shading, more 'alert'. It's been really interesting seeing these interpretations of sand erosion. I would never had seen the possibiliies.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/13/17 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Gary, is this stuff crawling around out there or is it just me?......sad

This has been a wonderful series and all the processing seems uniform between the group.......another very nice one indeed......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/14/17 at 01:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Another winner, Gary. I love the graphic (almost abstract) nature of the B&W tones. At the same time there is sufficient context, which allows me to enjoy the location. I have to say that this is a very clever and sophisticated composition. So much going on, yet there is an unmistakable sense of simplicity. 

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership