Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Skillet Creek Gorge
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 08/06/17 at 11:38 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Jim Erhardt on 08/19/17 at 10:46 am EST

This picture is one I made the same day as my last post. I haven't been back yet to make the picture back at the falls that I want to try and do. I really enjoyed the light on the branch is this part of the gorge and really hoped to capture some of that wonderful feel / mood this place can have. This is another 30 second exposure with the use of a 6 stop ND filter. Larger version for much better view! Thanks for all of your comments on my last post!
Canon 5D3, 70-300L @100mm, ISO 100, F/11, 30 sec.with 6 stop ND.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 08/06/17 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Nick, you definitely have succeeded in capturing the feel (especially with the larger version) and transporting us to this special place.  Amazing capture of light and space.  

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 08/06/17 at 10:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

You  have an excellent series here, Nick. All good. I really like the light in this one. The light highlighting the log is fine, but I'd like it just as well without the log. It's the warm light on the canyon walls that's really nice. I also like the contrasting greenery. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/08/17 at 12:41 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This has been an excellent series, Nick.  I agree with Scott, that the light works with or without the log.  Really beautiful work.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 08/08/17 at 3:43 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

The larger version is really interesting, Nick.  I love the quality of the light you captured here as well as the sense of mossy wetness with the ferns, etc.  I think I still prefer the first one (with the waterfall) as a more dramatic scene, but this one gives me a really cool feeling of anticipation.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/08/17 at 4:43 pm EST    

Thanks for your comments on this one! As always it is good getting your thoughts and glad you liked it. I do like the previous one too with the falls included but really do like the light in this one. Thanks much, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 08/09/17 at 06:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

A gorgeous image, Nick! There is a wonderful balance, and the amazing light just makes the difference for me. You convey the specific atmosphere in a convincing way to me.

peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/11/17 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The texture and color of those walls really makes this image for me personally. I can see why you chose this wide format in order to include both sides of the gorge and the sunlight on the left wall. I find the water in the lower 1/3 of the image to be the least interesting but I can't see how to reduce it for this composition. Of your 3 images of the gorge I like the color balance here the most. I thought the previous composition was a bit stronger, though. Having said that it is still a really marvelous image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/19/17 at 11:01 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Sorry I missed this one, Nick......Excellent image, and congrats on the WP here too......devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/20/17 at 9:15 pm EST    

Peter, Igor and Paul, Thanks guys for your thoughts on this one. I'm glad you liked it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 08/21/17 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Wow, I don't know how I missed this, but it is gorgeous, Nick!  I love the light.  Congratulations!

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/21/17 at 2:41 pm EST    

Hi Shirley, Thanks so much! So glad you liked it. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership