Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Moonrise Elephant Sands
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Wildlife gallery on 07/31/17 at 09:37 am EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 08/14/17 at 3:40 pm EST

Elephant Sands, Botswana, Africa

I had a problem categorising this image but it seems to me it comes under the banner wildlife.  These animals are completely free to wander around Botswana, they are not fenced in and they are totally free to come and go as they please.

These are undoubtedly my most satisfying of the elephant shots that I took and extremely difficult as I couldn't see to focus and the exposure which was in the region of two seconds required the elephants to be virtually stationary during that time. They were exposed at an average of 3200 ISO and the moon fortuitously rose as the elephants visited the waterhole with the lodges situated around the perimeter. I hope you like them as much as I do.

Please View LARGE..

Fuji XT-1, 55-200mm zoom lens, estimated manual focus, f/5.6, 2 seconds, ISO 3200

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 08/01/17 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

Ian, there are several things that I particularly like about your image, the first being your creative spirit in imagining that it would all come together considering the degree of difficulty involved with low iso and visibility and elephant motion.  I love your use of both moonlight and lodge lighting to illuminate the image and reflect it in the watering hole.  The elephant's presence have a ghostly or spiritual quality that adds context and interest.

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 08/02/17 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Ian: there's a uniqueness to the photo that I appreciate. The elephants, their reflections and the moonlit scene are a treat. Amazingly sharp foe a 2 second exposure. Congrats! Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Sharp on 08/03/17 at 1:06 pm EST    
Registered on 12/09/07, 258 Posts, 9892 Comments

I, too, find this to be hauntingly compelling.  It is great to see someone photographing "out of the box."  Reflections are key to the impact, too.

Lon Sharp
wildlife moderator
South Dakota
www.lonsharp.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Sharp Gallery of Lon Sharp

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Max Waugh on 08/18/17 at 12:03 am EST    
Registered on 09/26/08, 428 Posts, 2329 Comments

And interesting and sort of eerie scene, Ian.  I love the colors here.  Congrats on the WP.

Max

Upcoming Tours: Yellowstone | Tanzania | Costa Rica | Patagonia | Great Bear Rainforest     

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Max Waugh Gallery of Max Waugh

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership