Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Gorge at Pewits Nest
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 07/26/17 at 7:03 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

We have had lots of rain lately so I decided to take a short drive to Pewits Nest State Natural Area (which was the 1st State Natural Area in WI.) and see how it was looking. There was not access to some of the area but I was able to make a couple of shot while I was there. The water as I expected was quite muddy but I still enjoyed being there. This shot was made with a 6 stop ND filter.
Canon 5D3, 24-105L @65mm, ISO 100, F/16 at 30 seconds with a 6 stop ND.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/26/17 at 7:42 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

The large image is (lovely? powerful?). The smaller image looks on the verge of being over sharpened. This is a very impressive and almost ominous view of the sharp and threatening rocks of the wall. Well taken!

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 07/26/17 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I like this. It is a bit of a unique shot that I would not expect to come from Wisconsin. The streaks in the water and the natural flow of the cave draw right into the shot. Also very nice textures and colors. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/26/17 at 10:34 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is very nice, Nick.  I like the contrast between the smooth texture in the water and the detail in the surrounding walls and vegetation.  I'm drawn into the scene by the streaks in the water leading me to the window and leaving me with a sense of wonder of what is unseen around the corner. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/27/17 at 09:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I like the Muddy water, it gives it a unique look.
Mysterious view and the streaks add a lot.
A 16x9 crop with a bit off the top would look nice a well for me.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 07/27/17 at 11:22 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

This has a nice tunnel effecy to view through to the falls, and the streaks add to the flow and add interest the empty water area lower right.  You might try just a very tiny warming of the white balance and see if that is desirable to you.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/27/17 at 12:04 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a lovely, intimate view of this area and small falls, Nick.  The long ss and how it focuses attention on the falls pulls this scene together beautifully.  Theres a fine sense of coolness with the hints of blue in the water and the greens on the walls that sure has me wanting to be there.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/27/17 at 1:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The long SS has created some wonderful streaks in the water which transport into this beautiful scene rather nicely, Nick. This does have an air of mystery to it that makes me want to see what is around the bend. The large version does a fantastic job of bringing out the details in the rock formations and their clinging vegetation. Beautiful job on this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/27/17 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

The depth and detail in the image is incredible, Nick.  There is a quiet sense of mystery.  No nits or suggestions from me, beautiful work as always.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/27/17 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful scene! Love the detail throughout and great sense of depth to the image. Sweet.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 07/27/17 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Nick, my first impression was that I wanted to see the falls larger, but there's so much interest in the surroundings and outflow that it's fine just as shot, and the exposure on the falls is excellent.  My only suggestion is I think a bit of work to draw out some detail on the RHS would be a great improvement.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 07/28/17 at 01:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, there is an amazing mystic feel to this image for me. The narrow view on the cascade is especially appealing to me.

There is an interesting technical issue in my opinion: in the large version the shadows at the right are opened up a bit compared to the small version - that makes for a better tonal balance between both sides for me. Are there any differences in processing?

Thanks for sharing!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/28/17 at 06:34 am EST    

Thanks to all of you for comments on this. I enjoyed getting your thoughts on it and so glad you liked it. I hadn't shot here for awhile and since I have a friend (Tom Haxby) coming to visit I thought I would check it out again thinking he might want to photograph this place.
Peter, Thanks! No difference in processing. The large version is at 1200 pix and the small one resized to 720 with a bit more sharpening added. Hope you and Silvia are doing well. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 08/01/17 at 02:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

What a glorious combination of stillness, movement and light. A real winner, Nick.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 08/04/17 at 12:31 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

My mind gets so stuck on the Columbia River Gorge, that it's good to have a reminder now and again that they are not all huge.cool
I really like what the ND did to the water; I need to get one of those. The muddy water is just fine by me.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 08/04/17 at 11:50 am EST    

Thank you Anil and John. I'm so glad you guys liked this and I very much appreciate getting your thoughts on it. Means a lot to me. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership