Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cartouche
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 07/23/17 at 11:06 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I was certainly out of my element on a recent trip to the Oregon coast.  The ocean is overwhelming.  It was hard for me to absorb all of the sensory stimulation.  What finally sunk in was the fact that each tide rearranged the beach in some amazing ways.  We had no real weather to speak of, so the tidal puddles (?) became my muse.  I could hardly wait to see what had changed each morning and evening.  Anyway, this is one of my favorites from the trip.

iso 100, 24-105 @ 65mm, f/16, 1/4s

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/24/17 at 05:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A unique and beautiful image. Stark ... moody ... and inspiring.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 07/24/17 at 09:03 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Looks like an aerial view of some desert dunes, Gary.  The "dunes" are set off nicely from their surroundings by the grazing light and the shape fills the frame well.  Interestingly, I find it quite reminiscent of some of your desert southwest shots.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/24/17 at 09:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Cool abstract, interesting how your eye finds things like this on the coast.....
The large version makes one want to wash the sand off... gritty and fascinating.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/24/17 at 09:32 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Gary.......Yikes........a wonderful B&W scene that is extremely simplistic and a very eye catching abstract. Love images that challenge our perception and trying to understand what we're looking at......SUPER.......devil

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/24/17 at 11:32 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent, Gary. This is a very cool abstract. Great shapes, tones and moody sense of mystery. 

I hope you did not freeze to death at the coast! :)

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/24/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

A wonderful abstract for sure, Gary. I like the lack of scale in this scene as it gives the image an air of mystery and the large version seems to have some textures which remind me of the B&W Tri-X days. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/24/17 at 5:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, This is some great b&w photography. The highlighted ripples in the sand look fantastic with the shadowed areas all around. Great light for this very interesting composition. Textures and details in the sand are wonderful. Very cool work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 07/24/17 at 6:38 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

This is wonderful, Gary.  Your abstract landscapes of recent months served you well here.  I can image a tish off the top, but I am enjoying it very much as presented.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/24/17 at 7:30 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

If you were out of your element it is hard to tell from this photo!  sad  I like the fascinating contrasts in not only tonality, but also shape and texture.  The comp works well and I like the sweeping arc formed by the brighter sand.  You have a great eye for things that I would probably overlook. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 07/25/17 at 1:29 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Gary, maybe this is something "out of your wheelhouse" but it's certainly a nice change.  Tides can make wonderful abstracts and possibilities are limitless for that genre.  This can be interpreted as an aerial view of dunes.  I might only suggest I'd like to see more of the trailing ripples at bottom left.  Just a thought. 

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 07/25/17 at 11:23 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Gary, this is a very interesting abstract. It works really well in b&w. The light is great really drawing the eye to the main element of the image. Well seen and photographed. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 07/31/17 at 07:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Terrific abstract, Gary. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 08/04/17 at 12:21 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I've been really looking forward to seeing what you brought back from bringing your southwest "eye" to our neck of the woods. This is really cool. It almost has an appearance of something out of a science fiction movie. Fascinating.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership