Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

A Quiet Morning
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 07/16/17 at 11:42 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I haven't been on here very much just lately because I really didn't have much new to post. This past week we had some nice conditions with fog after lots and lots of rain so I was out trying to make a couple of new images. This one was from the pines not far from my home. I always try and spend a little time in this area when we get these wet and foggy conditions. I shot it very early in the morning and everything was very still. Thanks for looking. Larger version included for much better view.
Canon 5D3, 24-105L, ISO 400, F/16 and 4.0 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 07/16/17 at 3:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

What a refreshing scene, Nick. As we fight triple digit heat in So Cal anything like this is a wonderful sight to see. The detail even in the muted light is still easy to make out with some pleasant contrasts too. Very nice indeed......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 07/16/17 at 4:53 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Nick, I'm really liking this. You did a great job of framing this, with all of the shorter trees fitting nicely within the frame. The spacing of both the trees and the bunches of white flowers is excellent. Masterfully composed!

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/16/17 at 10:11 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This is nice, Nick.  In addition to adding mood to the image, the fog adds tonal separation between the trees where they overlap to create a sense of depth.  The foreground flowers add a nice touch of brightness to anchor the scene.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 07/17/17 at 02:31 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I love this Nick.  The white flowers add some nice contrast against the tree trunks and of course the fog helps makes the scene.  Wonderful find!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 07/17/17 at 05:24 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

An exceptional image for me, Nick, and one of my top favorites from your portfolio. While the trunks make for a firm structure in the composition, I enjoy exploring all the delicate details of the plants and flowers. The fog in the distance just makes the difference for me here. Your exposure and processing is spot on and consistent with the atmosphere in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/17/17 at 08:12 am EST    

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments on this and I'm very glad that you enjoyed it. After kind of a dry spell it felt so nice having some great conditions to get out and shoot in again. I also have a couple to post in M&N gallery which I liked quite a bit. Thanks all! Nick
edit: still having some internet connections problems so if I'm not on here making a few comments that is the reason. Not sure what is going on with that yet.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 07/17/17 at 1:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is a beauty, Nick. Great tranquil mood and just beautiful. I like this a lot!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/17/17 at 3:35 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Really nice, Nick. LOve the horizontal row of flowers in the FG, contrasting with the vertical trees with nice separation with the fog.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/17/17 at 4:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am really enjoying the mood here along with your careful placement of the trees in this scene, Nick. The fog really sets the stage and those white flowers are a wonderful bonus in this serene image. I almost feel like I am there as I can feel the dampness in the air. I love the pano format as well.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 07/17/17 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

This is truly beautiful and yes, it must be seen large. The fog and trunks are gorgeous, but the white flowers are what make the image especially haunting.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Tobias on 07/17/17 at 9:32 pm EST    
Registered on 09/12/09, 2120 Posts, 6455 Comments

I am impressed!  A well taken image of a forest scene.  Also impressed by the very fine comments this photo has received.  Thanks for sharing.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Tobias Gallery of John Tobias

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 07/17/17 at 11:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

An unusual image in that it's basically a composition of muted tones and colors, but the white flowers snap you out of the mood. They are so bright that they almost look superimposed on the rest of the scene. Their arresting presence seems unnatural, yet without them the image would be fairly commonplace, one of many of this genre. So I like this for it's creativity and imagination.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/18/17 at 08:54 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Soothing feeling from this shot.  Nice touch to add the flowers at the bottom. Not much to suggest, dig it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/18/17 at 09:36 am EST    

Thanks guys! I really appreciate getting all of your thoughts on this. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 07/20/17 at 06:04 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

Nice this truly is my kind of scene. reminds me of my OTWTW project (on the way to work). Lovely composition.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 07/20/17 at 09:28 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Fog in the trees makes for nice scenes.  I like that there are some foreground flowers too.  One thought may be to darken the sky a bit and see if that appeals to you.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/20/17 at 09:50 am EST    

Thanks Prashant and Doug! Glad you liked it.
Prashant, Yes, my kind of scene too.
Doug, I did 2 40" prints already and I did just that for the prints. Looked good.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 07/21/17 at 3:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

I like the scene. Wet, quiet and pleasing. Well done!

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 07/23/17 at 3:50 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

This is a very compelling image, Nick. Beautifully composed and processed. I do believe this would also make a fabulous black and white. Cheers!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/24/17 at 11:35 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

A most inspiring photograph. Simple and yet full of interest. What I really appreciate about your work Nick is that it makes us see the world in a new and more appreciative way. Thank you!

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 07/24/17 at 5:20 pm EST    

Bo, Ken and Anil, Thank you guys! Your comments (thoughts) really mean so much to me. 
Ken, I hadn't thought about b&w with this but now I think that might be something I will work on. 
Thanks to all, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 08/03/17 at 11:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

A lovely combination of elements Nick. The flowers are a small bit of the scene, but add a lot. Nice to catch this in the fog.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership