Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sanctuary
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 07/07/17 at 8:36 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Harry Lichtman on 07/17/17 at 11:29 am EST

One of the few rhodi bushes I could find with nice blooms in early June this year from the Redwoods - much later than I guess than usual.  Easy to ID rhododendron bushes as they were typically the brightest greens, nearly translucent in some cases - in the forest.  I created nice separation from the rest of the foliage, and accentuated with any amount of back lighting.  I desat. the blues in the fog a bit, but maybe more is needed?  The fog looks much more blue on upload than it does on my monitor, so hesitant on adjusting at this point.

D810, f11, ISO 200, 24mm, 2 sec., polarizing filter

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 07/07/17 at 9:50 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

An eccentric composition, but the more I look at it, the more I like it! I wouldn't touch a thing.devil

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 07/07/17 at 10:57 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Unique and pretty cool, Harry.  I might tone down the highlights some, but I like this a lot.  The perspective adds a trippy distortion.  Sweet image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 07/07/17 at 11:42 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Harry, I like the amount of blues in the fog, so maybe more desaturation is not needed.  I also like the vertical distortion that gives an inward lean to the trees. There seems to be a slight halo on the left edge of the UR tree, but this may be due to compression.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 07/08/17 at 10:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments
Comment last edited by Reno DiTullio on 07/16/17 at 4:41 pm EST

Nicely done, Harry.  I really like the comp/perspective and the greens really set the rhodies off nicely, fog looks fine to me.  Living on the coast I know it's difficult to balance the blue with the gray we normally see in fog.  Well done.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 07/08/17 at 12:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

A Striking perspective and the colors look right to me.
My only nit is the heavy tree  trunk in the upper right corner...
Not sure if you could have moved left a tad.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Louis Pattis on 07/08/17 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 03/30/12, 0 Posts, 164 Comments

You made my day !!!!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Louis Pattis Gallery of Louis Pattis

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 07/08/17 at 12:49 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this, Harry.  The rhodies add some nice color which contrasts nicely with the otherwise moody look of the rest of the image.  The converging lines and low perspective lift my eyes upward through the frame.  Nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/08/17 at 5:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Dan - Had I moved left and maintained this perspective, I would have gotten even more of the tree on the R using the wide angle.  I tried to optimize the most blooms.  Had I moved right and shot away from that tree, the background and neighboring brush was more undesirable, so this was a bit of a compromise. I thought the heaviness of the dark branches on the left UC might balance the tree on the right.  Also liked the moss on the R tree, so was hoping to include it if it made sense to the image.  I did take some vertical shots, the lighting a bit more uneven that did eliminate the right tree. I'll post one to compare, with a slight crop.  I have played around with a horizontal pano crop that really centers on the blooms, but much of the high trees and mist is lost.  But, maybe that would appeal to folks as well.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 07/09/17 at 02:26 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

I like the thumbnail of this a lot but not as whelmed by the full image.   Peculiar.

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 07/09/17 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I love the POV and the fog sets the stage for this beautiful woodland scene, Harry. Everything looks very natural to me as far as the processing. My only suggestion would be to try and lose the tree in the URC with a crop if it does not upset the balance to much. I have always wanted to get a shot like this, but have never been at the right place at the right time. Beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 07/11/17 at 7:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Really nicely done, Harry.  The blue looks fine to me.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 07/11/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

Looks like the tall trees are cathedral to the tiny blooms. Wonderful perspective.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 07/13/17 at 11:03 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I had the same feeling as Aaron here. I think it's the dark splotches on the backlit leaves which detract. Fairly minor nits though, I love the foggy background and converging verticals in the composition.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 07/25/17 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This is gorgeous! The composition is very dynamic and the processing really lets the landscape shine. A beauty.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mike Ramy on 10/26/17 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 06/16/12, 567 Posts, 2809 Comments

Hey Harry,
Wonderful perspective, beautiful color pallet and I just love the mood you captured in this composition. I prefer the original post as the tree trunk in the URC adds interest.
Well done . . .  laugh

Mike Ramy
Douglasville, Georgia
'Have boat will Travel'

About Me
Photo Touring by Boat and Guide Services information HERE
Florida Spring Break Tour 2018 information HERE

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mike Ramy Gallery of Mike Ramy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/26/17 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Marvelous image, Harry. One of your best. It took me 2 months to come around.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership