Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Flowered Forest & Repost
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 06/29/17 at 12:36 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 07/08/17 at 10:27 am EST

Large Version Recommended

I caught the early portion of rhododendron blooms in the northern CA redwoods.  Seems the flowers were unusually late this year, so difficult to find nice blooms.  Matching them with fog and lighting also a challenge with limited time in the area.  Moving fast when the light presented for this comp.  The original was a horizontal comp, as the lighting and trees to the right were very nice, but I thought a 4 x5 crop would better highlight the flowers in this case.

D810, ISO 500, f8, 1/60 sec., 24-120mm, hand-held

As an aside, had to get a new laptop, much higher res. than my old one and had some challenges run CS6 on it, so wondering if colors, resolution look ok. I realize others may be viewing on lower res monitors, so wondering how it translates.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 06/29/17 at 7:02 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Some pretty great light and fog there!  Personally pref but maybe a bit too bright.   Bummer on the flowers as a full bloom here would have been off the charts.  Still a lovely photo though!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/29/17 at 7:30 pm EST    

Definitely see your point, would make it a bit more mysterious. Lot easier to darken than try to bring up the shadows.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Don Young on 06/29/17 at 8:07 pm EST    
Registered on 04/23/15, 56 Posts, 224 Comments

Harry, this looks good to me!  Maybe a bit bright in the upper right corner, but very good considering the lighting situation.

All Photos and Comments by Don Young

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/29/17 at 8:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The colors look spot on and the large version is a real treat, Harry. My only suggestion would be to reduce the overall brightness just a bit. I love the mood with the light fog and rays.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 06/29/17 at 9:03 pm EST    

Here is a slightly darker version.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/30/17 at 06:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I think the second version is the ticket, Harry. Beautiful image. The second eliminates the bits of harsh light in the first, and gives a softer overall look that is better for the subject and mood. However, I am viewing this on a contrasty Imac monitor which does influence my opinion.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/30/17 at 9:28 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nice Harry.  I think the repost is the ticket and I might even take it down another notch or two.  Flowers or no flowers, still a sweet image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/30/17 at 10:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments
Comment last edited by Tony Kuyper on 06/30/17 at 10:16 pm EST

Looks like you were up to the challenge, Harry.  That's some really nice light even if the  flowers weren't performing all that well.

Just saw the tighter crop and like it better for sure.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/01/17 at 08:20 am EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 07/01/17 at 08:22 am EST

(Clicking on image will give a larger view)  I figured I would post the full, uncropped version as well for comparison.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 07/02/17 at 12:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Harry,
These are all lovely and I find myself preferring the second and third options, even though the horizontal comp doesn't show off the pink blossoms much, but it does show the redwood forest better. One nit is that the fog appears pretty blue, making it look a little like smoke to my eye. I would play with that a little if it were mine. Maybe as a Californian I have seen too many wildfires in the past and it doesn't seem to bother others. Just a thought, because everything else is wonderful.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 07/03/17 at 12:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Even with the lack of blooms, this is an exceptional image. On my laptop the light has a really blue look to it that I kinda like, but on my new Dell calibrated monitor it's more natural looking. The processing and sharpening looks great.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 07/03/17 at 1:58 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 07/03/17 at 7:53 pm EST

Thanks Michael. Good to know about the processing and color cast. The fog looks ever so slightly blue on my monitor so it sounds like calibration  working properly  on my end.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sairam Sundaresan on 07/04/17 at 8:40 pm EST    
Registered on 03/14/13, 100 Posts, 643 Comments

The second version works best for me. The right amount of darkness, the light illuminating the blooms and overall very nice harmony!

Sairam Sundaresan
Light Chaser and Day Dreamer

All Photos and Comments by Sairam Sundaresan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 07/10/17 at 3:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Harry, your first version gives me an immediate sense of this incredible light. The brighter processing still accentuates it in my opinion.

Congrats on the EP!

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership