Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Morning Kiss
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 06/26/17 at 12:12 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 09/03/17 at 7:44 pm EST

The graphic nature of these badlands is fascinating to me.  This is a tighter shot  of my last post.  It was hard to decide which one to post first.  I like them both.

iso 100, 24-105 @ 80mm, f/11, 1/6s

Better large.

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/26/17 at 10:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Both work very well. I have no preference between them, different look and feel to each.  Fascinating terrain. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 06/26/17 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Gary, I like them both as well, but I like this one a bit more, because it feels even more abstract and otherworldly.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/26/17 at 1:30 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 06/26/17 at 1:30 pm EST

This is wonderfully graphic and dramatic, Gary.  The two view are very different it terms of the feelings generated in this viewer.  As someone who thoroughly enjoys abstracts, I prefer this view because of the added level of abstraction due to only including the repeating shapes.  This will make a wonderful large print.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/26/17 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I am glad you posted, Gary. I was going to make the comment to your last post that a closer image featuring just these formations would work as a more abstract image, so it's good to be able to go to your gallery and see these side by side.  Having done that, they both have merit, but.contrary to Mark, I think I prefer the less abstraction and more vairety of the previous image. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 06/26/17 at 8:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

Gary, I think that I prefer this one, by a small margin, simply because the fine detail is even more striking than in the first one.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/26/17 at 11:03 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

My pick is strongly for this one Gary. I love the loss of scale; it has a more open-ended and timeless feel for me. Well done!

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 06/27/17 at 11:19 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Very interesting repeating patterns, textures and light. I like the image. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 06/27/17 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Both are quite good, Gary. I suggested a downward crop on the last, and looks like you found a sweet spot. Well done as usual enlightened

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 06/27/17 at 4:24 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Man, these images really make me want to go there!  Of course, part of that feeling is generated by your mastery of the monochrome, as well as the attraction of the landscape itself.  Both images are outstanding, but for my taste, this one zeros in on the essence of the the earth in this place.  If I had not scene it, I would still enjoy the slightly wider view, but I tend to either want to see the grand landscape, or get into a more intimate view.  This one is just a little more on the intimate end.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/28/17 at 6:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Your B&W's are always exquisite, Gary. While I thoroughly enjoy both, I slightly prefer this one as it is a bit more abstract while still retaining the essence of this otherworldly landscape. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 06/29/17 at 11:30 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Just super, Gary......love the ongoing "undulation" of the terrain. Reminds me of looking out of a porthole and seeing ocean wave peaks..(effective enough to almost feel the motion)....laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 06/30/17 at 4:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

Your landscape B+W's always impress me. But if I have to choose between this one and the wider view I prefer this tighter, more abstract version. It has more cohesion (if that is the right word). Beautiful tonal range.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/30/17 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Definitely some interesting patterns here.  I think I like the wider view a bit better.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership