Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Papaver Closeup
Photo posted by Albert Darmo in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 06/05/17 at 8:59 pm EST
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments
Post last edited by Albert Darmo on 06/05/17 at 9:29 pm EST

I find  the  centre  of  the oriental papaver amazing ..  please see  large version for better  detail.    rarely use  a  high  iso    ,  guess  it was  windy  ,  to  need  the  1/30  sec.       comments  appreciated

D600 ...   150  macro   f/13      1/30 sec     iso   1000 .... tripod.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 06/05/17 at 9:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

Certainly not your average poppy shot.  Very creative.  Why the high ISO if you were using a tripod?

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 06/05/17 at 10:13 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Albert,

My guess is that your 1000 ISO is a typo and the image was taken at ISO 100. Nice view and lots of detail which makes this macro fun to look at.............................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 06/06/17 at 03:10 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Albert ...Thought its a nice piece of cake..with some designs on it. ;-) Wonderful thought to go very close and get a whole lot of detail here. YOu have also achieved quite a bit of dof here. well done

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/06/17 at 1:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yes, Albert, the details are wonderful, especially that "starburst shaped" part in the center.  I agree with the others that iso 1000 and f/13, 1/30s seem unlikely unless this was in very heavy shade.  If it were windy, 1/30s most likely wouldn't be sharp.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 06/07/17 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments
Comment last edited by Wayne Jones on 06/07/17 at 10:58 pm EST

Very cool shot, Albert.  Nice detail, and the bright background makes a graphically exciting image.

I understand using ISO 1000 for shots like this. I think we both shoot a lot in low light conditions because there is just not as much light in this part of the world.  While your tripod eliminates camera movement, you need to keep the subject in the center to compose and focus it, with just a gentle breeze.  In many cases, 1/30 sec. would be too slow with 150 mm., but if you wait for the right moment without wind, when the flower is not blowing around, but still just very slightly moving -- gently swaying from the last bit of wind, 1/30 is all you need to get the shot.  I usually shoot a bunch of rapid bursts when flowers are moving just a tiny bit, and in most cases, a few of the shots will come out sharp because the shot is caught in the pauses at the ends of the arc of travel.  That's taking advantage of the rapid fire shutters and big memory cards -- something we didn't have when shooting with film.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Roger Kirchen on 06/11/17 at 8:24 pm EST    
Registered on 03/06/11, 95 Posts, 847 Comments

Hi Albert, that is one striking image.  Lots of detail and wonderful composition with the light periphery, the star at the center and the dark circle around.  The square crop works well.  I like it.

Roger Kirchen
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Roger Kirchen Gallery of Roger Kirchen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership