Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Arctic Circle Intimate
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 05/30/17 at 4:13 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This shot was taken near the USFS campground at Coldfoot, AK. There were almost no campers at the time. I liked to explore the undergrowth with my camera. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 05/30/17 at 6:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Very nice comp with the variety of colors and textues.  For me it feels a bit flat in midtone contrast. 

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/30/17 at 6:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful variety of plants and color. I might clone out the bright red leaves on the bottom edge, but minor stuff. Real nice. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 05/30/17 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Very nice. I like the colors and comp. Everything looks sharp also. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 05/30/17 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Good work seeing and composing this delightful scene.  The reindeer lichen provides a beautiful contrast to show off the red leaves.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/31/17 at 09:29 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, You did a wonderful job seeing and then setting up this composition. The reindeer lichen is always so interesting and a joy to see for me. I love the colors and I think the fact that they aren't overly vibrant makes this even more appealing. A beautiful and natural feel very well done.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/31/17 at 09:32 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, this is a beautiful intimate scene. Lots of great color and texture to explore. Good flow of red throughout the scene.

I agree with Harley on cloning the red leaves that poke into the bottom, but that is very minor. I could also see a small bump in the darkest shadows on the tree.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/31/17 at 12:52 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I just love intimate scenes like this Igor.  Superb detail and composition.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 05/31/17 at 12:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is a lovely look at the Alaskan undergrowth, and it must have been close to fall. I like the raindrops on the leaves, the colors and patterns, plus the tree trunk at the top which anchors the scene. Beautifully done and it is easy to identify as Alaskan if you have ever been there. I'm curious if the white stuff is lichen or flowers.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/31/17 at 1:37 pm EST    

Kathy,

Reindeer lichen. It's the coolest stuff. At certain latitudes it forms carpets between the trees. The best areas were close to the Arctic Circle. The Kenai Peninsula has some but not great carpets. There seemed to be less once you crossed the Brooks Range on to the North Slope to Prudhoe Bay.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 05/31/17 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Wonderfully subtle colouration and an eye-catching array of textures - very fine image devil

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 06/01/17 at 06:45 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Comment last edited by Ian Cameron on 06/01/17 at 2:19 pm EST

Wonderful colour palette Igor and beautiful to look at.  I have to say the tree is so dark at the roots that I would see if you could eek out a lot more shadow detail as the contrast between the very softly lit foliage and the tree seems to abrupt in such even light. I actually like your mid tone contrast and feel it is about right.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/01/17 at 07:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

A wonderful, artistic image of the Alaska groundcover, Igor. I have gone back and forth on the inclusion of the dark tree trunk.  Everything else about the image is superb. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 06/01/17 at 09:15 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Even just the bottom half makes a nice image.  A Christmasy mix of colors.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/02/17 at 12:53 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice intimate, Igor.  The mix of colors and textures keep me engaged.  I'm a bit on the fence about what to do with the stump.  It does anchor the scene, so I might be tempted to clone the twig that bisects it.  I like it as is, just trying to think it through.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/03/17 at 3:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Tons of details in the large version for the eye to wander around and savor, Igor. This is a wonderful intimate landscape. I too would clone out those couple of red red leaves along the bottom edge. Just a personal preference of course.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/03/17 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, this is a fine look at the "tundra".  The red leaves are spread well throughout the scene.  The backdrop of reindeer moss, lichen and other greens complements those leaves very well.  I could also see this without the tree trunk, but it works very well as presented.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/07/17 at 11:58 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

What a beautiful mixture Igor. Despite the chaos, this comes together ever so nicely. (...and, it would make an awesome jigsaw puzzle!)

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 06/16/17 at 08:13 am EST    

Actually this does seem a bit too busy as I come back to it. You can buy into it mentally or not. I don't think it's one of my better images. Image appreciation is so subjective. It can change from day to day.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership