Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

River in the Rain
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 05/28/17 at 3:59 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 6:28 pm EST

I made this picture on the Ontonagon River in Upper Michigan on a late and rainy afternoon. I love those rainy days when the light kind of comes and goes and that is just what this day was like. I don't think many people see this view of this river and it was much harder to shoot that it appears it would be in this shot. Hope you like it and thanks much for all of your comments on my last post. 
Canon 5D3, 24mm, ISO 100, F/11 at 1/2 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/28/17 at 8:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Beautiful image Nick, particularly the large version. The deep dark silence of the northern woods. That's what this conveys to me.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 05/29/17 at 10:51 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The fallen tree helps with the diagonal flow.  I like the moss and lichen on the rocks, so wonder if you have any more frame on the sides for more added rock that would be beneficial.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 11:16 am EST    

Thanks Igor and Doug.
Doug, No I don't have any more room on the sides. This is the full frame with a little off the top. Too much clutter if I went wider and it was quite difficult coming up with something, so I was just pleased to get this. I did start out at 16mm but it just didn't work so this 24mm shot seemed to work best for me. If it had been much cleaner in the woods I think more lichen covered rock would have been nice. Thanks, Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 05/29/17 at 1:41 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Really nice, Nick.  I'm in Phoenix today and it's about 200 degrees, so this is very refreshing.  Love the diagonal flow and wonderful detail.  No nits from me.  Very well done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 1:55 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 1:57 pm EST

Thanks Gary! Hey, last time I was in Phoenix it was 200 degrees as well...laugh.  Well, at least I hope this helped you feel a little cooler for a bit. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 05/29/17 at 2:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

This is nice as is Nick. Love that fallen tree. Is this a stitch?

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 05/29/17 at 2:26 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Gorgeous scene, Nick, and so well captured. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 3:32 pm EST    

Thanks Prashant and Shirley. So glad you liked it.
Prashant, Just one single frame with some of the top cropped mostly to eliminate some bright spots in the canopy. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/29/17 at 5:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Nick. It really conveys a sense of the place and the mood. I might slightly burn down the branches hanging over the water at the back of the scene, but really minor.  This turned out great. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Bjornbak on 05/29/17 at 11:54 pm EST    
Registered on 05/13/17, 17 Posts, 23 Comments

Nick:
Beautiful image!  I especially like the greens, they add a lot to the image. 
Michael Bjornbak

Michael Bjornbak
Calabasas, CA
www.MichaelB-NaturePhotography.com
"If you keep on doing things the same old way, what's not to say you get the same old results"--Walter Haley

All Photos and Comments by Michael  Bjornbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/30/17 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Nick, I love these kinds of scenes and this is a great one. I like the diagonal flow, and how the upper left trees keep the eye in the scene. The pano format emphasizes the flow of the river in a nice way.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 05/30/17 at 7:22 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Nick, I always appreciate you interpretation of the upper Midwestern woods. This is beautiful and very moody.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/02/17 at 10:05 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This view does a great job of conveying the darkness of the thick eastern forests, Nick, even as it invites me to enjoy the river.  The lighting really lets the colors stand out while it allows the details in the darker regions to show.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 06/03/17 at 4:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I really like what you put together here, Nick. I particularly like the large version with the diagonal flow of the river and the way the fallen tree mimics that flow along with that exquisite subtle light in the scene. This is my kind of day with the rain; it really makes those greens pop.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 06/04/17 at 10:50 am EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Wonderful deep forest feel. Agree that the log really cements the diagonal. 

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/05/17 at 08:24 am EST    

Thanks guys! I appreciate getting your thoughts on this. I do love these kind of days in the woods and along a river or stream. Thank you, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/05/17 at 08:27 am EST    

I have been having problems loosing my internet connection so it has been hard getting on here long enough to make comments. Hopefully that will get better soon. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 06/13/17 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, your image conveys a wonderful sense of flow to me. The specific atmosphere of a rainy day fits in well with this scene in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/17/17 at 6:40 pm EST    

Thanks Peter! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership