Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Weatherworn
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 05/25/17 at 01:43 am EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I've been in a bit of a creative funk lately, so I visited some of favorite places.  Mostly to just get away, but sometimes the predictable haunts provide the necessary spark to rekindle something that signals the way forward.  I'm not sure I found that, but I did find some interesting conditions that I had not seen before.  I usually only go on an extended trip if I know there will be storms, and this trip did not disappoint.   This is a fast moving morning storm that finally provided some breaking light. 

iso 100, 24-105 @ 67mm, f/80, 1/500s

Better large

You comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/25/17 at 08:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Dark, stormy, foreboding. Great mood to this image and i like it a lot. The warm light on the right provides an excellent tension, too. Very, very nice. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 05/25/17 at 09:38 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Better large indeed, Gary. I love that dark ominous cloud along with the positioning above the land formation and the subtle light has created some wonderful textures and details in the landscape. This has your usual flawless B&W processing as well.

Ed.

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 05/25/17 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Really liking this, Gary.  The black and white has created some wonderful textures and mood.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/25/17 at 10:41 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Gary, I'm really enjoying this photo. The composition is great, with perfect placement of the dark cloud over the mountain, and great light on the land. Processing is perfect.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 05/25/17 at 11:51 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Apocalypse Now....
I think the cloud is a bit dark but suits the mood.
The peak is very well done.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/25/17 at 1:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow. This is excellent. Such an evil, sinister place. It's like a castle perched up there. A scene from Young Frankenstein or even the original Frankenstein. The rich tonal separation on that mountain is something to behold. What I find interesting is how much the light clouds at the very top add to the composition. Crop them off and the scene becomes slightly less appealing. The side lighting worked out great for you. The amount of space dedicated to the sky vs the land seems just right. The peak is almost centered in the image and that is good because the mountain is fairly symmetrical. Would a lightning bold add to this or make it cliche? I like it as is.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 05/25/17 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

A brooding image, works so well with the big sky out your way. Love those erosion ridges that are subtly highlighted. Not sure how to improve on this, a classic look to this. New places work better for me to stimulate creativity for some reason. What ever works I say!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 05/25/17 at 8:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Great mood here, with lovely lines on the land and light. Your black and white images are so striking, yet I find myself wondering what the colors were in this scene. In any case, a beautiful, moving take on the mountain and the clouds. We all get feeling a little weatherworn from time to time!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/26/17 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, Wow, This is fantastic b&w work! I like this composition a lot and the conditions you captured are impressive. That side lighting gives this the perfect finishing touch. Love this!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 05/26/17 at 10:41 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

This is indeed a nice escape place. The mix of light on the butte and dark cloud is nice. I do not think I would crop the lighter section of cloud on the top.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/27/17 at 2:04 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I like the semi mirroring of the formation in the dark cloud above, Gary.  This view is definitely rugged and stormy.  Just getting out can be good for the creative spirit.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Bjornbak on 05/28/17 at 11:04 pm EST    
Registered on 05/13/17, 17 Posts, 23 Comments

Gary:
Very cool image!  Reminds me of a volcano about ready to blow.
A large print will look great. 

Michael Bjornbak
Calabasas, CA
www.MichaelB-NaturePhotography.com
"If you keep on doing things the same old way, what's not to say you get the same old results"--Walter Haley

All Photos and Comments by Michael  Bjornbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 05/29/17 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Love this, Gary. I love the form, detail, mood and light. No nits whatsover. devil

I am a little late commenting on this because I just came back from a week shooting in Utah. I decided to go at the last minute, but it was tied to a busniess seminar in Vegas so I did not have much control over the time. It sure would be nice to live out there and chase the clouds. I actually made it up to the FB area for the first time. I was really impressed with the area, but the skies were cloudless when I visited this place. Definately need to spend more time in this area. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership