Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

A Moment in Time
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 05/21/17 at 1:17 pm EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Post last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/21/17 at 2:32 pm EST

I made this picture at the end of September last fall while in Upper Michigan. I was in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Area along Lake Superior and it had been raining for several days. It was also rather cold and quite windy to go along with all the rain. On this morning I headed out early just to see what it would be like up at the Lake of the Clouds at sunrise. While waiting in the dark, wind and fog I could see that the sky was finally starting to break open a bit. It turned out to be some pretty impressive conditions that morning and this is one of the pictures I made. Only one other photographer up there that morning and we had a nice time shooting together. Larger version included. Thanks, Nick
Canon 5D3, 24-105L @ 105mm, ISO 640, F/16 and 0.4 sec exp.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 05/21/17 at 1:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

nice, the light is superb. I can imagine the thrill of being there. Love the blueish tone in the river and the flow. My only nit is the tree on the LHS. it somehow blocks the flow of the image abruptly.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 05/21/17 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

Awesome, fantastic, striking!  For me, the swirling mist right of center catching the early light is what makes this image special. And there is more to enjoy as well including the patterns in the lake and the wonderful color contrast between the blues and the yellow/orange.  that patch of blue in the triangle of the ridge makes for a nice anchor to explore from.

One of those moments in time you won't soon forget experiencing.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/21/17 at 2:36 pm EST    

Thanks Prashant and Lon! I really appreciate getting your thoughts and glad you liked it. Yes, it was one special morning that I will remember for a long while. Watching the conditions and light change was just amazing to me.
Lon, You gave me a better title name so I changed it.Thanks! Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/21/17 at 3:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Nick. Great colors and dramatic scene. It must have been a glorious morning. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 05/21/17 at 4:36 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

That's a stunning bit of light you have over yonder lake there Nick.  On my screen the cyan triangle of sky underneath the cloud is a wee bit too electric but everything else looks bang on.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/21/17 at 5:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I agree with Lon that the sunlit mist on the right side makes this image to a large extent. The overall vagueness of the landscape in contrast to the sharply defined tree ridge. The small light streaks in the dark woods at the end of the lake is something you could remove if you wanted.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 05/21/17 at 10:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Beautiful atmospherics for sure, Nick. The drama in the sky is quite striking and I love that sunlit cloud on the right side of the frame. My only suggestion; and this is just a personal preference; would be to clone out those two light areas along the shoreline at the end of the lake. It had to be great to witness this first hand as it started tto unfold.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/22/17 at 7:09 pm EST    

Thanks guys for your comments on this. It certainly was a wonderful morning to be at Lake of the Clouds. The highlights at the back of the lake are off of the river that flows into the lake. I really had not considered removing them because I know what it is, but now I can see that could be an option with this image. Thanks so much for your thoughts! Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 05/23/17 at 05:08 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great moment of light, Nick. My only suggestion would be to enlighten a little bit the lake in order to slightly balance the exposure with the dark mountains. Just a technical question: why did you use ISO 640 if you had to use the tripod anyway? Is it because you did not want a very long exposure? Thank you.

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/23/17 at 08:39 am EST    

Thanks Mattia, I really wanted to try and keep the exposure less than 1/2 sec and at f/16 that took an ISO of 640. I didn't want the texture in the water to smooth out to much and hopefully keep the trees from moving to much as well because there was some wind. I did do several other exposures that were shorter and longer but this one seemed to work best for me. I appreciate getting your thoughts and thanks! Nick 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 05/23/17 at 7:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

It's nice when these things happen and when you're ready to take advantage of it.  You've really brought through some beautiful light and color.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 05/23/17 at 9:10 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The windswept water contrasts with the calm feel that the sunset sky gives me.  I saw a sky like this just last weekend and it was pretty cool to see.  I wonder about a little added vignette in the upper right to balance the left corner partially.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 05/24/17 at 9:18 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wonderful Nick.  I love the intensity of the conditions here, and you did an amazing job capturing the moment.  Love it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/29/17 at 7:11 pm EST    

Tony, Doug and Gary, Thanks guys! It was one wonderful morning after several windy and rainy days. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership