Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

David
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 05/17/17 at 6:43 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

One of my first images taken with the 6D, I recently converted this to B&W and now it's presentable. This was shot at Olmsted Point in late afternoon. I remember walking completely around this tree, deciding which perspective showed it's character the best. I finally chose to shoot it up close and upward to magnify the trunk and give it a 'crown'.

This type of image harkens back to an earlier era when I admired photographers who shot images like this. I was trying to capture an expressive form.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@24mm, f/13, ISO 800, 1/500sec, tripod

I believe I used a tripod on this image but the settings suggest that I didn't. 

Thank you for all your comments on the last image. Yes, the three ducks have to go.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 05/17/17 at 8:02 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The sweep of the trunk and angle that you chose give it a sense of grandeur.  Nice detail in the trunk and tonality too. The cloudless top of the sky works well here, letting the shape avoid an competition. Wouldn't change anything.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 05/17/17 at 8:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

If you could have gotten a less steep angle, I think I would prefer it.
Just a tad to keep the tree above the horizon.
Other than that, nice B & W.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 05/18/17 at 02:01 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Exquisite image! Not the tiniest nit from me -
devil
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/18/17 at 08:45 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Igor, I like this interesting perspective. I also like the fringe of light on the outermost edges of the tree. Tonal range looks great to me as well.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lean of the tree, however I know that these different perspectives are hard to read for what is level. If it were mine, I would try it with the trunk completely vertical, though that may look terrible, I don't know.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Daniel Rappaport on 05/18/17 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/09/09, 294 Posts, 2006 Comments

Really arresting portrait.  The perspective creates a certain tension that really works well. I agree that the lack of clouds behind the crown is ideal.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Daniel Rappaport Gallery of Daniel Rappaport

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 05/18/17 at 1:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

This is a classic beauty, both the image and the tree. I like the B and W treatment with its wide range of tones. It really evokes that part of the Sierras, and puts my feet right down on the granite. I love the upward look; it does give it a regal feeling. Excellent!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/18/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I love the upward look; it does give it a regal feeling

Thank you for that observation. I titled it David after Michelangelo's David. It reminds of his full head of hair. The early photographers, it seems to me, often shot trees suggesting human forms. Since that was during the Hollywood's golden era I started to see this tree as a Hollywood film star with glorious furs draped across her shoulders and along her arms. But what title was appropriate? Heddy Lamar ("That's Hedley!!"). I couldn't come up with a good one - so, it's David.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 05/18/17 at 5:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

And I was going with "David and Goliath..." but see your comment regarding the title.  And this is an image that can demand a title. Of course for my thought to work, I think the title would be Goliath, not David. angel

I used to teach composition at the Parks Dept years back.  One of the very basics is learning the difference between choosing a vertical format vs. horizontal.  I know this is rocket science, but your image exemplifies what your choice of format and perspective is so suited for this subject.  Kathy wrote, "I love the upward look; it does give it a regal feeling..."  Exactly. Regal, grand, towering, strength, dominating presence, bold, powerful; these are all things that can describe this regal tree. 

I think the composition is spot on and I love the space the tree occupies, it's shape and presence.

On a processing note, If I had a nit/suggestion it would be to tone down some of the highlights. In particular there's the brightest vertical streak in the trunk, but also a few of the granite boulders seem nearly washed out.  Granted, very hard to judge in these web versions, and also the exposure is appropriate for the light.

Still, I like this very much.  A grand portrait indeed.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/19/17 at 11:23 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Going b&w and your pov sure do make this an impressive looking tree, Igor.  It definitely has an 50's, large format presence.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/20/17 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice portrait of a stately tree! I would clone out the background tree on the right of the trunk just above the ridge. This image works well for me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 05/21/17 at 12:58 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice, Igor.  I agree with Harley that the little bit of canopy peaking thru on the right side of the trunk could be removed.  I also agree with Lon, that some of the highlights could be burned.  I like your decision on the perspective, and I also like that it doesn't look over processed.  Well done.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/21/17 at 2:58 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, Very nice work setting up this composition and I'm very much enjoying this scene...great view angle! The b&w looks great with this image as well. An impressive b&w image.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 05/22/17 at 5:42 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

Just a classic Yosemite monochrome image, Igor. I can't find anything to critique, really enjoying it as presented.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/25/17 at 12:43 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I love the way the dark foliage stands out against the gray sky. Nice "retro" Igor!

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Bjornbak on 06/04/17 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 05/13/17, 17 Posts, 23 Comments

Igor:
I love the image and also really like your quote. I definitely am going to work on being more interesting. 
Thanks for sharing your b/w image,
Michael

Michael Bjornbak
Calabasas, CA
www.MichaelB-NaturePhotography.com
"If you keep on doing things the same old way, what's not to say you get the same old results"--Walter Haley

All Photos and Comments by Michael  Bjornbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership