Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ontonagon River
Photo posted by Nick Bristol in the Landscape gallery on 05/10/17 at 11:43 am EST
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I haven't been on here very much recently but always enjoy coming back to see all the wonderful landscape images that get posted here. This image was made in the late winter / early spring at Bond Falls in Upper Michigan. I try and spend a few hours there a couple of times a year and it is always fun trying to come up with different views of this area on the middle branch of the Ontonagon River. Thanks for looking and any thoughts. 
Canon 5D3, 24-105L @70mm, ISO 160, F/16 and 0.4 sec.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/10/17 at 4:27 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/10/17 at 6:30 pm EST

And a lower contrast version here which was my original plan but I forgot to do it before posting. Any preference?
Click the image for larger view. I do prefer the larger view of this one myself but the small one seems a little flat to me. I let the site resize that one where in the original post I always do both versions myself.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Don Young on 05/10/17 at 8:35 pm EST    
Registered on 04/23/15, 56 Posts, 224 Comments

Nick, great image.  I think I like the lower contrast image a little better.

All Photos and Comments by Don Young

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 05/10/17 at 10:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful captured shot of Bond Falls, Nick. Perfect ss. I prefer the higher contrast except for the light band across the top. I would crop the very top.  

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 05/11/17 at 12:06 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Definitely the less contrasty image for me. It looks slightly more natural to my eye. 

What's interesting about these fall is the regularity of water dropping. They have the uniformity of the teeth of a comb. The combination of several such 'combs' makes a good composition. That's the main source of interest for me, with the white water below of less interest.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 05/11/17 at 06:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Nick, there is an amazing interplay between the flow and the shapes and colors of the rocks for me, a most compelling scene. The higher contrast version fits in best with these elements in my opinion.

One minor suggestion is either to darken or even to crop the brighter area at the top in the left half, that would help me to concentrate on the main area of interest I think.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/11/17 at 09:59 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The way the shape of this step falls moves through the frame is great, Nick.  I also like how you captured the sense of flow in the river.  The differences between the two are very subtle.  I like the bit of extra brightness in the high contrast version at the top of the distant step (upper left) while the extra detail showing in the flow at the bottom left and just above the falling water in the lower right corner are better in the low contrast version.  (Using the back and forth arrows for an almost side-by-side comparison works well.)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/11/17 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful little falls. I like the low contrast version best, but the high works well too. Subtle difference. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 05/11/17 at 11:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Nick,

This is fantastic!  I'm hard pressed to say which one I like better.  they are both beautiful and honestly to me, the differences are subtle and I certainly wouldn't have made any suggestions on contrast, color, sat or processing with either! So they're both winners to me.

Everything here literally just "flows" together.  All the water components are wonderful; the zig-zag of the lip is making for an excellent composition.  I could see this as a metal print hanging on my wall. 

The only suggestion I have is with Scott.  there's a light patch top edge center, plus more bright as you move left.  Even a slight top crop I don't think would change the impact of the image.  There's also burning and cloning options if you don't want to lose the real estate.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/14/17 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Lovely water texture Nick, and the lines of the comp work really well. I agree the difference is only slight, and slightly prefer the low-contrast.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/15/17 at 12:03 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/15/17 at 12:05 pm EST

Thanks much to all of you for your thoughts and suggestion on this. As always, much appreciated! Thank you! Nick
My computer is going to be down for a couple of days for some updating but should be back on line by mid-week.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 05/16/17 at 8:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Nickcrying    I  had the same impression  of  the  falls  like Igor.  the  falls  having  a uniformity  of  the teeth of a comb.     each  version  has its  merits.  the first  version  has  an abstract quality   which  i  like  better   ......     very  fine  work

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/19/17 at 5:43 pm EST    

Thanks Albert. I appreciate that! Hope you are doing well. Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Bjornbak on 05/20/17 at 10:30 pm EST    
Registered on 05/13/17, 17 Posts, 23 Comments

Nick:
Beautiful image, I love anything with water and this is a high impact water image. Just my two cents, I prefer
the first image with higher contrast. I hope you have a high megapixel image because this will make a 
beautiful large print!  The higher contrast image looks like rich dark chocolate. 

Michael Bjornbak
Calabasas, CA
www.MichaelB-NaturePhotography.com
"If you keep on doing things the same old way, what's not to say you get the same old results"--Walter Haley

All Photos and Comments by Michael  Bjornbak

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/21/17 at 10:24 am EST    

Thanks Michael for your thoughts on this. Yes, I have a large hi-res file and thinking about doing a large metal print of this one. As Lon mentioned it just looks like it would work great on metal and I agree. Thanks, Nick

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership