Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Grand Prismatic Springs
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 05/03/17 at 7:37 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 05/03/17 at 7:39 pm EST

Grand Prismatic Springs, Yellowstone NP

A slightly different view.  Thanks for having a look and for your comments and critiques on this image and my previous work.

Canon 5DM3
Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L II at 70mm
ISO200 1/320sec f/8
Hand held on the boardwalk

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 05/03/17 at 7:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Mysterious, always interesting to see different views of Grand Prismatic Springs, I like the fog/steam in the background as if covering something mysterious.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 05/03/17 at 10:30 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Mysterious and dramatic.
Nice use of thirds...
Well done.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/04/17 at 01:58 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Comment last edited by Eva McDermott on 05/04/17 at 02:01 am EST

Many thanks Reno and Dan.  A bit scary knowing you are standing on a super volcano seeing all the thermal activity.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 05/04/17 at 06:08 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Interesting abstract you created.  The different textures of the FG really add to the image, as well as the other tones.  The only suggestion I might have would be to crop down from the top to eliminate the dark hole in the fog to create an even more abstract view.  The more pano format might also take advantage of the  horizontal banding of the other parts of the image.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Allen Brooks on 05/04/17 at 09:56 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/11, 262 Posts, 2597 Comments

Nicely composed with the lines in the front leading to the springs.  I wouldn't crop, as you'd lose the sense of mystery as to what is hiding behind it.

Allen Brooks
Oregon

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Allen Brooks Gallery of Allen Brooks

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 05/04/17 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a view of Grand Prismatic that I strongly relate to, with the runoff textures leading to the orange colored shallows around the spring.  I also like how you caught the colors in the main body.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/05/17 at 10:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Cool abstract with really good layering. I would also be tempted to crop down the top. That dark area top right is pulling my attention and holding it there while the real drama is in the foreground. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 05/06/17 at 2:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

This is terrific! I'm really loving the metallic, shimmering, silvery look of the bottom thirdish of the frame.  The layers or zones are nicely balanced.  The intimate view without much context and reference helps makes this an excellent natural abstract,.

Initially I find the dark area UR to take things a little out of balance. Although the rising steam I think makes up for that.  I'm wondering though by cropping some off the left, the darker UR works better with the darker reflections in the metallic bottom. Not sure if any of this makes sense.

the only other suggestion is perhaps reducing some cyan in the upper portion of the steam.  But that's minor.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 05/06/17 at 8:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Eva,
A very dramatic scene.  I like the reflections and can say that I am relieved as well about the super volcano continuing with its slumber. Well done.....................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 05/07/17 at 6:03 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Absolutely fantastic! A really different view, and I think it turned out great.  The FG and middle, in particular, is just surreal.  When I first looked at this, it almost looked as though dark smoke was drifting down from the top....... then I realized it was fog and the dark was the trees back there.  It can be a really crazy illusion.  That shiny FG and colorful center, though, that's what I really  like.  Very cool.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/07/17 at 11:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Love it Eva. I too, at first glance, though of smoke at the top. Fascinating layers, and the "silver" of the bottom is very attractive.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 05/08/17 at 4:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Love the layered look to this image. And the metallic mercury look of the spring itself.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 05/13/17 at 10:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Eva crying    I  think  you captured the beauty and  energy of the scene perfectly .    The different   layers  in this  fine image  present  many  challenging options.  ,  agree  that a crop on  top  would  create   an  amazing abstract

Albert Darmo..      Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership