Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Grand Teton Sunset Rays
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 04/29/17 at 7:13 pm EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 04/29/17 at 10:29 pm EST

Jackson Lake Lodge certainly has some amazing views of the Tetons both at sunrise and sunset (or any time for that matter).  This was taken as clouds started to gather around the mountains looking over Willow Flats.  B&W does add more emotion at least for me than the color version.
Canon 5DM3
Canon EFS 24-70mm f/2.8L II at 70mm
ISO200 1/640 sec f/11

Thanks for having a look.  Thanks for any comments and critiques.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 04/29/17 at 7:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

I like the mood of this shot, but find the blown whites a bit much.  Did you consider a GND filter for this shot?

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/29/17 at 7:45 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Thanks for your input Skip.  Yes I did use a 3-stop grad.  The light was pretty intense and key to the mood I was trying to get especially highlighting the sun rays.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 04/30/17 at 12:02 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Very dramatic lighting, the rays are wonderful.  Might consider a crop off the bottom so the sky takes up about 1/3 of the frame, mnts and flats 1/3.  Would place a little more emphasis on the sky which it looks like was your intention.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/30/17 at 1:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Eva,

Terrific landscape from the Grand Tetons.  I think the contrast here is appropriate and spot on; just a splash of extra drama in the sky just does with the territory, I think.  The sun's rays really add to the scene, but doesn't dominate it.  I just think everything comes together beautifully here. 

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/30/17 at 4:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

What a great sky and collection of crepuscular rays, Eva.  This looks great in b&w with the high contrast in the sky/clouds adding drama that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 04/30/17 at 8:22 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Eva,

Slight crop off of the bottom and it should improve the comp as recommended by Harry.  I like the sky even though the whites are quite bright......................................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/03/17 at 10:09 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great classic scene. My first thought on opening was along the lines of Harry's crop suggestion. The foreground bushes tend to stop my flow through the image a bit. Nice and dramatic!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/07/17 at 11:26 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Interesting thoughts on cropping. I was actually thinking the opposite; cropping a little off the top so that the sky, mountain, and foreground are ~1/3 each. This would emphasize the rays more? Fun to play!

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/10/17 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Eva, My first thoughts were the same as John's with cropping some of the sky bring each section to 1/3rds. I really like the rays and that just adds to them I think. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership