Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sweet Surprise
Photo posted by Harry Lichtman in the Landscape gallery on 04/25/17 at 8:43 pm EST
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Sometimes everything just falls into place with little effort.  This was one of those occasions.  I arrived late at night to camp next to this pond while heading through northern NH chasing early foliage.  It was meant as just a layover spot, not planned but convenient.  As sunrise broke, I realized that it had the makings of a photograph.  Just a peaceful way to start the day, well beyond any expectations for that morning. 2 exposures manually blended for dynamic range.

D810, 16-35mm.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 04/25/17 at 10:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

Yes, sometimes it all just comes together.  Beautiful light, very peaceful scene, love the reflection and mist, well done.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sairam Sundaresan on 04/25/17 at 11:21 pm EST    
Registered on 03/14/13, 100 Posts, 643 Comments

Those clouds are so striking and the mist makes this such a dreamy image. I really like this one, Harry. Sometimes, it's just about being there to watch the show :D

Sairam Sundaresan
Light Chaser and Day Dreamer

All Photos and Comments by Sairam Sundaresan

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/26/17 at 12:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Very nice, Harry. I like how the near branches fit nicely inside the shadowed reflections, forming a repeating arc. I can just envision you moving around that foliage with your camera so that it all lines up right. BTW I love being at small lakes in mornings like this with a rising mist. I might try saturating the blue in the sky a tad to see how that looks.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/26/17 at 02:53 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Wonderful scene to wake up to Harry.  Love it.  The mist and composition couldn't be better.  Excellent.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 04/26/17 at 03:49 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

It certainly was a sweet surprise, colourful sky and rising mist and a wonderfully natural look too.  Exquisite image with colour and pattern across the whole of the sky.  I really like the reddened leaves in the immediate foreground which add a delicate flavouring of colour.  I might just tame some of the reflected red clouds a little as they shout just a wee bit too loudly below that sky.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Bartz on 04/26/17 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 05/12/07, 56 Posts, 92 Comments

The mist and reflection are great.

All Photos and Comments by Wayne Bartz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/27/17 at 02:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Harry,

Wow,  Yup, some times it just all comes together. And you were blessed to have experienced this.  For me, what raises this well above your run of the mill reflection image.... is the rising steam/mist off the lake.  I love how it separates, yet joins the real sky, clouds and sunrise colors with the reflection.

Wish I was there to witness.  Guess I'll just have to settle for this.  devil

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/27/17 at 10:13 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Those are wonderful cloud formations, Harry, and they have such fine colors.  The rising mist adds beautifully to create a great sense of being their, enjoying the sounds and sights of a quiet woodland sunrise.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 04/27/17 at 12:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Harry, this is a masterfully crafted image for me. You make just feel like standing in the middle of the scene breathing the air.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 04/28/17 at 08:45 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Harry,

Well done--I rarely get the chance to work on images when light is ideal. This one is perfect with no nits from me.  devil.............................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 04/29/17 at 4:41 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I love everything about this Harry.  ..... Exquisite color, mist, with a wonderful feeling of serenity.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 05/01/17 at 01:21 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

A beautiful sunset/reflection scene, Harry!  The mist is a special bonus and I really appreciate that you didn't oversaturate the scene.  I like it just the way it is.  The large version is particularly nice as it has much more presence.  

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tom Falley on 05/01/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/21/14, 189 Posts, 454 Comments

Nice Harry!  Part of the being there factor in photography.  The only possible additional technique available that could have added very slightly would be a couple of additional exposures for depth of field as the far trees are a little soft, as might be expected!

Cheers:  Tom

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tom Falley Gallery of Tom Falley

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 05/05/17 at 8:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

Beautiful wilderness. The lake is like a mirror. Morning fog adds mystery effects. One minor thing is that the pattern of the clouds reflected on the lake points to one direction and the twig in the foregrounds leads to another. 

I like the picture very much!

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/07/17 at 11:39 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

You've got to love a nicely place foreground cool. Lovely color to back it up, and I really like the mist in the image.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership