Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Dancers from the Underworld
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 04/24/17 at 11:43 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 04/25/17 at 07:53 am EST

I shot this dry riverbed about a year ago in southern baja california. It drew my attention as I crossed it on a dirt road heading south. I was drawn to it by the lines and shapes of the scene that I found hauntingly attractive. It was shot during low light conditions and the colors seemed meaningless so I just removed them altogether.

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@40mm, f/19, 0.5sec, ISO 100, TK sharpening, tripod

Not very popular with my friends so I haven't posted it here but today I stumbled across it and it suddenly spoke to me as it had that evening. Hope you like it.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 04/24/17 at 1:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like this a lot, it is my kind of image. The boulders provide a very appealing foreground and I like the way the creek kind of fades away toward the back. Real nice depth to the image, too.  It would be nice if the trees on the right were not cutoff, but only you know what lurked out there. It is by no means an image killer for me, just a woulda been kinda nice. Very nice work!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 04/24/17 at 1:40 pm EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

This is truly beautiful, Igor. The B&W processing "makes" the image - I suspect it wouldn't be this strong in color. I see Harley's point about the trees, but they don't really bother me - you HAVE to cut the image somewhere...enlightened Great work!!!

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 04/24/17 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

You have a lot of depth here, a lot to look at.
my only suggestion might be to burn the bright areas of the boulders a bit to make those
excellent white trunks pop a bit more....

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 04/24/17 at 4:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

The BW conversion is gorgeous, the image has a full range of tones, excellent.

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 04/24/17 at 8:15 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

This is great in B&W Igor. It has a kind of eerie feeling to it. The more I look, the deeper it draws me into those trees in the murky BG. I love it! I think where you have cropped it almost creates a hole or canopy leading into the upper right BG. I know this is really weird, but I almost like the smaller version better than the more detailed larger version.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 04/24/17 at 9:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I like this a lot, Igor. Very graphic, particularly because of the intricate tree roots and shape of the trees. Processing looks good to me with fine tones. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 04/25/17 at 06:34 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

A very interesting and appealing mixture of elements to me, Igor. Your composition really invites me to follow into the depth of the scene. The b&w conversion is consistent with the atmosphere to my eye.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 04/25/17 at 1:33 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I love your choice of B&W as well as your actual conversion.  Excellent work there.  I really like the image too, but have a couple of tings that are bothering me.  My issues would be solved had you simply stepped back about 2 steps (may not have been possible).  I would really like to see more room at the bottom of the image; the middle rock being cut off  just jumped out at me for whatever reason, and I also wish there was a bit more room on the right side of the image as well.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/25/17 at 5:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 04/25/17 at 5:48 pm EST

I'm posting the uncropped original to show how I initially saw this image and composed it. I set up the tripod on one of the large fg boulders so there wasn't that much room to maneuver. My initial thought was to get a representation of the gully with all the trees, boulders, and roots. As I worked on this I became more interested with the roots themselves because they seemed to have a personality of their own. I reworked the image to make them more dominant. I also lowered the exposure a tad to fit the mood as I saw it. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 04/25/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Great title, i can see the dancing trees.   The barren roots of the trees definitely set the tone for the image.  looks like some serious erosion took place here.  I can see how the stark shapes caught your eye, and the BW version works very well here.  I was similarly drawn to burned beech trees when in Patagonia. Nice tonal range represented.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 04/26/17 at 02:37 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I'm glad you posted the uncropped version.  I can also see why you were drawn to the roots, my favorite part of the image for sure.  I think I like the uncropped image because of the more open feel.  Developing that version would require some intricate cloning of the bright sky on the right.  I really like how, despite the rugged nature of the wash, the image invites the viewer in for further exploration.  There are also a couple of bright eye grabbers that I would burn. One on the first tree on the left, right where the roots join the trunk and the bright edge of the little rock front and center.  Really well seen.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 04/30/17 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Excellent b&w Igor.  The depth here is apparent as it's easy for the viewer to get pulled in to this comp; which allows them to explore the roots you're interested in.

I appreciate seeing the original.  I  prefer the cropped version. Not so much because of the sky, but I think because the cropped version seems to have more purpose. The original just more of a picture. If that makes sense.

Nice job on the processing too (cropped original)

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 05/07/17 at 11:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Love the title too Igor, and definitely well done on the crop. I too love the roots here, and works well with the BW treatment.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership