Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sage at Smith Rock
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 03/24/17 at 7:39 pm EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I live pretty close to Oregon's Smith Rock Park. There are loads of images of this park in Bend. You see your first in the baggage claim area at the airport upon arrival. Other than the shot from the visitors center the most idea seems to be to shoot from the lava ridge across the river to the cliffs. The trick is finding a good foreground. I've walked a fair amount along that bluff looking for the right conditions. It's never perfect but here is one. 

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@32mm, f/18, 1/50 sec, ISO 100

There is no cropping involved here. I usually don't like such narrow verticals but any cropping to make it wider compromises the composition. Too narrow?

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 03/25/17 at 12:15 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

Perfect image for me! Cropping down to eliminate the sky is a possibility; a different photo altogether but still good.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/25/17 at 1:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

This is a wonderful image. The composition is perfect as presented and a great example and use of the near/far style.

Yeah, sometimes I don't care for the narrow verticals of the digital format, but I also believe there is no set formula and in this case the format works perfectly.  I can suggest no better alternatives.  I like the inclusion of the sky because there is a good mix of puffy clouds and blue sky.

The sage is the strong center piece, but for me, the color and glow of the far canyon wall steals the show.

Great job.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/25/17 at 3:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is one of the nicer images I have seen from Smith Rock. The color and contrast look good to me, and I love the glow on the crags.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/25/17 at 10:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

One exquisite composition, Igor.  The stellate design and line and details of the sage branches are superb and provide the perfect foreground element.  Love the layers of varying luminosity that draws the eye back to that far distant mountain.  Can't beat that warm light on the vertical rock.  Wonderful color, wonderful everything for that matter.  I think the format works just fine; would not want to crop anything out of this image.  Fantastic image.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/26/17 at 07:21 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Not too narrow at all.  I love this Igor.  Beautifully crafted and very pleasing to view.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/26/17 at 08:23 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Excellent, Igor. You found a really strong foreground to go with the rest of the scene. The foreground itself makes for an excellent image.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/26/17 at 09:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This one is working for me, Igor. It does not seem too narrow at all. I think you found yourself a winner at that park. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/26/17 at 12:54 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Igor, I do not see that you have much on top or bottom (maybe a little could be off the bottom) to make a crop without compromising as you note.  Perhaps you could have taken a step back or zoomed out to get more on the sides and then could crop top and bottom more to suit your preferred aspect ratio.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 03/26/17 at 1:36 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments
Comment last edited by Jim Zablotny on 03/26/17 at 1:37 pm EST

Igor,

Only one minor nit and not a deal breaker.  There's a little bit of blue haloing  between the center -left of center ridge top.  Probably a jpeg artifact.  This one will make a killer print for sure.  Well donedevil.........................................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/26/17 at 2:48 pm EST    

You're right. I see it. I wonder which processing step introduced that. Thanks for noticing that. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/26/17 at 3:53 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is a very fine image, Igor. I prefer the native 2x3 aspect ratio so doesn't look to narrow to me. Well composed with some beautiful warm light. Your processing looks very natural and spot-on. Only, very minor suggestion would be to clone out or crop that tiny spec of sky mixed with the rock face in the upper left.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/26/17 at 8:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Doesn't look too narrow to me.  Is quite detailed and busy - some directional lighting might have been helpful to help separate the component of the image.  Otherwise, good to give a different view.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 03/28/17 at 9:37 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

There's a lot to look at here and I like how the light on the distant cliff pulls me into the scene.  I might crop a little off the top just to remove the small portion of sky on the left, but nicely done.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/29/17 at 10:27 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I too would not crop this Igor. It is a little crowded at the top, but this one appears to be about the foreground and it needs the room to shine. The foreground is so rich, I'd be tempted to try and add contrast and richness to the sky. (Ever try the trick of copying the image to a new layer, using Apply Image to add the red channel to the blue and green layers, and then setting that layer to Luminosity? You would have to restrict the layer to the sky with a mask, but in this image that would be simple.)

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/29/17 at 4:28 pm EST    

No, I haven't. In fact I may have dialed back the sky here separately because I have a thing about contrasty clouds and I usually like the blue to be pretty pale. I probably did that by selecting the sky and making photoshop adjustment with curves and saturation. 

Interestingly enough this started out being about the yellow yellow rabbit brush and the cliffs but that idea never panned out. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 03/29/17 at 8:34 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 03/29/17 at 8:36 pm EST

It works for me, Igor.  Smith Rock is tricky in a horizontal format because there are so many distinct rocks that can distract from each other.  I wouldn't mind a little more light in the fg, but that's a taste thing.

Edit: never mind on the fg.  Big image shows shadows much better.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership