Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

'Marshmallow' Snow
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 03/24/17 at 3:39 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Converted to B&W. This was taken several weeks ago.  This is on the edge of a lake, and the water was still open where this small creek came into the lake.  The snow had formed these soft, marshmallow-y looking snow edges along the water.
It was snowing and blowing in the the spruce trees on the hill, so that's why they are a bit blurry in  the upper corner.  This was a very overcast day.  I played around with this in color, but there was a very strange color in there that I just couldn't get to look realistic, so I just went to B&W.

I like this and yet something about it irritates me.  I am not sure what.  Maybe it's that open space of white between the water and the first trees?  

Comments welcomed and appreciated!
See the (slightly) larger version.

5DmkII, 100-400L @ 120 mm, 1/400 sec, ISO 800, cropped some off the top and bottom.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 03/25/17 at 08:42 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I like the triangles in the composition. The brighter band of snow through the midzone probably is the weak link here which irritates you I'm thinking.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 03/25/17 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

The tones around the water are quite nice. Good as is, but cropped down to just show the water is a nice composition also.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/25/17 at 1:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Hmmm, yeah, I'm also unsure about the space of white in the middle.  Call it "negative" space, or whatever, it's not working well connecting the two other elements of the scene.  Interestingly, for some reason, I think a slight crop off the top changes that empty space issue for me a bit. Say, cropping from the top to cut the sky-triangle in half, if that makes sense.

I do like the shapes and forms of the snow surrounding the little stream of water and the tonality of both.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/25/17 at 3:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I love the snow and shapes in the foreground, and the tonality there looks very nice. As has been mentioned, the midground flat snow is somewhat overbearing, but if the sky were cropped out, I think that makes the image work. You might also try pulling a little more detail out of the snow.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/25/17 at 10:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Excellent composition, with the diagonals and triangular forms.  The texture in the snow comes through quite well, especially in the foreground, and the snow forms along the creek are wonderful.  Wonder if what bugs you is that the large triangular expanse of snow in the middle of your composition has a competitor for the viewer's attention, namely that triangular slice of sky.  I would crop out half of the sky, leaving just a small triangle of sky.  This would also eliminate that blurry upper right hand corner you mention.  Just an idea of course.  Love the frosty trees (cottonwoods?) right behind the expanse of snow.  Great work with the black and white processing.  And nice work with that long lens.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/26/17 at 07:28 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I will have to disagree with you and the others.  The negative space doesn't bother me at all.  Overall, I think this is wonderful, especially the diagonal stream and the fact you converted it to B&W.  Larger version is a real treat IMHO.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/26/17 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks for your comments; they really help me figure things out.
The cropping idea definitely seems to help, and Bill, I really appreciate that you like this as is!!  In real life, the snow forms along the water were enchanting, but I had to work within some human-made tracks along the right side and in the FG. Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out what to do when I cannot fit everything I want into a composition!!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 03/28/17 at 11:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Nice winter scene and the snow in the middle doesn't bother me. 

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/29/17 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The curves of snow are lovely here Genny! I agree that it would be stronger if the stream lead closer to the trees, but that's a nit. This is a very nice image even with that.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/30/17 at 09:19 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

A couple of crop options come to mind; 1) from the top and left to eliminate the gray sky completely.  2) crop to have just the water path through the snow with no trees, ridge or sky.  Maybe add just a slight bump in brightness too?

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership