Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Last Tango
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 03/12/17 at 11:53 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

These trees appear to be dancing to me.  I drove by last night, and it's a puddle.  Truly their last dance with this much water, for perhaps many, many years.

iso 100, 70-200mm w/ 1.4 TC @ 280mm, f/16, 1/80s

Your comments and critiques are very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 03/13/17 at 12:39 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Enjoyed this series a lot.
This one looks kind of creepy...
Well seen and well done.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/13/17 at 02:59 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

This one also awesome!  Love the pattern

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 03/13/17 at 06:19 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Excellent B&W, Gary. I like the graphic effect this image has. The contrasts between the reflections and the trunks are gorgeous. 

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/13/17 at 07:14 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Love the symmetry in the center of the image. The only thing that jumps out at me is the brightness of the upper left branch that is a a bit brighter than the rest.  Maybe tone it down, clone it out if you are into that.  A nice study of the trees.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/13/17 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Another terrific image in this series, Gary. the patterns and symmetry are very engaging. Well seen and composed. Processing looks good but I agree with Harry on burning/cloning that prominent bright branch in the ULC. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/13/17 at 1:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another excellent reflection image. I was going to bring up the bright branch, but Harry and Dave beat me to it. What a great series!!! I have been thoroughly enjoying these posts. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/13/17 at 2:22 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Agreed; the lines here are really cool. In the large version, I wonder what just a slight bit of Orton would look like. It might soften those edges slightly in an appealing way?

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/13/17 at 3:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Excellent one, Gary. I really like the almost "vibrating" sense to the water. It does seem to make the trees dance as you put it. Nicely seen and captured.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/13/17 at 5:03 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nice image, Gary. I like the dark forms across the reflected light of the water. The jumble of upper branches don't do much for me. I would crop off that tangle of branches and create a simpler image of strong stem lines and all of the reflections below.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/13/17 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments
Comment last edited by scott lanz on 03/13/17 at 5:32 pm EST

Excellent image, and a great title as well, Gary. The trees do look like they are dancing. I like the fine balanced comp and everything else. devil 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 03/13/17 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: Don't you just love opportunities like this? A superb capture of a unique moment. Good photography. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/14/17 at 12:48 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Fred & Ginger?  Maybe the tree things in "Lord of the Rings.."  anything, but I for sure see this as a dance piece, a recital even.  This is just grace and wonder.  Yet, another captivating image.

What you wrote and described what I think really hits home for me.

Truly their last dance with this much water, for perhaps many, many years.

What this really means is this photograph, this moment in time will NEVER happen again.  Sure, there may be torrential rains next year, or 10 or 100 years from now... but those bushes won't be the same; they'll have died, burned, or if lucky grown larger.... What you've photographed will never be possible to photograph again.  Yes, Tunnel View will be Tunnel View for a thousand years, but this image won't be repeated.  that's my appreciation for this (and frankly most every image you've posted.)

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/14/17 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, Very cool that you spotted this and and then photographed it so well. This comp with the reflections works so well and as usual excellent b&w processing. Great title!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/14/17 at 3:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This series has been wonderful, Gary. The trees and their reflections arcing left and right make this one for me. It has a certain Yin-Yang quality. The processing looks great!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership