Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Savage River +2rp
Photo posted by Igor Doncov in the Landscape gallery on 03/07/17 at 11:40 am EST
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Post last edited by Igor Doncov on 03/08/17 at 12:41 pm EST

I waited for my son on the bridge at Denali Park while he scampered in the hills behind me. Taken 2 years ago, I remember looking directly into the sun and enjoying the light dancing on the water below. I rarely shoot into the sun but this time I decided to try it. I had no tripod so I pinned the camera to the rail to steady it and waited for the shadows to move so that the light arranged itself in the way I wanted it. 

Canon 6D, 24-105mm@35mm, f/18, ISO 2000, 1/1250 sec

These are peculiar camera settings. Early on I was under the impression that the 6D had such great ISO capability that it mattered little what ISO you shot until 3200. Tests later revealed that this was not true. Also, I was not aware that the aperture setting affected image sharpness back then.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/07/17 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

As much as I admire your work, I have to admit this one just isn't working for me.  It seems off balanced due to the landmass on the right imposing into the scene, and the object that most attracted you (the dancing light) is lost on me because it's such a small part of the entire scene.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/07/17 at 6:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is a nice scene, but I have to agree with Bill regarding the big land mass on the right--it overwhelms the good things going on in the river. Also, there is a dark area in the LLC that I am unsure what caused it--light angle, perhaps? Secondly, the blue/cyan in the mountains top right is too heavy. I like the curves of the rivers.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/07/17 at 9:04 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I'll take a different road and say the comp works well for me. It looks like a grand vista, and I like the way my eye is led on and in. I do agree about the cyan; it would be worth backing down in those far mountains to keep the eye from sticking there.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/07/17 at 9:26 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Nicely composed scene. However, the central land mass is a bit dark and I find it blocks the flow of my eye moving from front to back through the scene. If it were mine I would dodge this area. Other than that, I find this image very pleasing.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/07/17 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This one is working for me. I don't have a problem with the land area on the right. or center. I think the image has a nice flow.  

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 03/07/17 at 9:39 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Sunlight dancing on the water always fascinates me, and often frustrates me in trying to capture it.  I think you did a fine job of it in this image.  As for the overall composition, I do feel that the large size of the shadow in the center interrupts the visual flow.  In general, I enjoy the interplay of light and shadow, but here the shadow seems to be a little too much.  Not a deal breaker, but it does make me wonder if you might have any more images from here with a bit more light in that area, that might allow my eye to flow more freely into the background.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/07/17 at 10:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Igor,

I really like the perspective and viewpoint and I think you did a successful job in capturing that light dancing and the highlighted reflections in the water.  I also like the confluence of the two streams.  The rest of the supporting landscape is beautiful as well.  I think well composed and well scene landscape.

Minor nit, I might back off the blues in the shadow of the mountain, UR, but that's minor.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/07/17 at 11:01 pm EST    

To be honest, that was my thoughts going in - that the distant mountains were too blue. I never thought the green wedge on the right was detrimental to the composition, nor the dappled sunlight. The distant blue got too saturated when I increased the overall saturation in the image. The blue in the sky and mountains got too intense. I readjusted the sky but left the mountains alone. Will change that.

I had some thoughts on this image and critiquing in general. This image is very different than say Harley's most recent image. IMO they should be critiqued not in comparison to one another but within it's 'type' of landscape. This image is the sort that you would find in National Geographic or Sierra Club desk calendar. Harley's is a fine art landscape. The type of image should probably be kept in mind by the person critiquing the image. I think most people tend to become attracted and identify with a style and their work becomes easily recognizable. I haven't done that. I keep bouncing around as the subject moves me and perhaps some prefer some work more than others. Also, the work keeps changing and this is the sort of image I took 3 years ago. I still like it though. Or I wouldn't have posted it here. Nuff said.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/08/17 at 01:43 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like this Igor.  I think I would crop this square from the top.  It seems to balance better for me.  I love the braids of the river and the confluence, but below that that it gets a little off.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/08/17 at 10:11 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments
Comment last edited by scott lanz on 03/08/17 at 10:20 am EST

Great shot, Igor. Interesting reading all the comments as well. Personally, I like the comp. I also like the play of light and shadow.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/08/17 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, I like the long view up the river and how my eyes swing back and forth following the glistening river to the mountains in the distance.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy Aron on 03/08/17 at 10:29 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/11, 189 Posts, 1160 Comments

Stunning Igor.  I agree about that dark area in the top center, but I love the diagonal lines in the foreground as the river forks, and how one can just discern a hint of the river in the upper left hand corner.  Perhaps a slight crop from the right so that land mass in foreground would look more balanced.

lucy

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy Aron Gallery of Lucy Aron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/08/17 at 10:43 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Igor, I have been looking at this for a little while and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It is a beautiful grand landscape that is very inviting to me. I love the play of light and shadow here and nothing seems to bright or to dark on my monitor, actually just about perfect I would say. The reflected light on the water really looks good to me and so natural. The blue / cyan on the distant mountain could be lightened a little I guess but I don't think it is all that far off from what one would see in these conditions at that far away. The only thing I might do would be to crop a little of the bottom off so the land on the right comes out right at the corner. This images makes me feel like I'm right there enjoying the view. Wonderfully natural! Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/08/17 at 12:37 pm EST    

First suggested change was to desaturate the distant blue mountains. I used TK web sharpening in this version.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/08/17 at 12:39 pm EST    

The 2nd suggested change included a crop off the bottom to remove much of the lower water. This gives it a very different look.

What say you now?

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/08/17 at 4:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for taking the time and effort on the rework.  Blues much better in the mountains.  And I really like the square crop! In fact I think it nails the scene.  The confluence, the shimmering reflections are still very much the main focus, yet the overall balance of the landscape image just feels better to my eye.  Good call whomever suggested it! ;-)

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/08/17 at 5:44 pm EST    

Good call whomever suggested it!

One man deserves the credit,
One man deserves the blame,
It's Nikolai Ivanovich
Lobachevsky is his name

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/09/17 at 8:53 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

The square crop is a completely different look and, for my tastes, a large improvement.  Well done.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/12/17 at 10:26 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I like this, Igor, doubly so since I know this spot.  I don't find the image unbalanced at all, and I am kind of sensitive to that sort of thing. The blue in the mountains in the distance does bother me some, but those lovely clouds and the meandering glacial river work for me.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership