Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Vertigo
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 03/06/17 at 1:29 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is also from the same catchment basin as my last post.  I toyed with flipping this 180, but I like it this way.

iso 100, 70-200mm @ 135mm, f/16, .4s cropped from the top.

Your comments and critiques are very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 03/06/17 at 3:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

I like this Gary. BW treatment is little flat for my tastes but lovely still.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/06/17 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another sweet image, Gary. I think this works perfectly in its current orientation. The tonality is working for me too. Real nice work. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/06/17 at 4:23 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Yea, this is rad.  Very cool!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 03/06/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

I Like this a lot, and the contrast is fine for me.
Very nice work!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Don Young on 03/06/17 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 04/23/15, 56 Posts, 224 Comments

Very nice!  I like it as is.

All Photos and Comments by Don Young

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/06/17 at 6:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, This is really a cool capture. You did a nice job with this comp and it works great for me as it is. I could understand that flipping it would be tempting but I like it this way. As always very nice b&w work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 03/06/17 at 7:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: I love this kind of stuff and this is really good. Well seen and superbly captured and presented.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/06/17 at 9:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very artistic image of the trees and their reflections, Gary. I like this a lot. Well seen and composed. The curves created by the trees and the reflections are terrific and make the image. Processing looks excellent. I have an image of fall tree reflections that I had printed. I would hang it one way for a while, and then flip it and hang it the other way, but I like the orientation of your image as posted here. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/06/17 at 10:39 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I think you posted this one upside down, Gary!  enlightened  Seriously, though, this is nicely composed.  I like the subtle tonal variation in the reflection of the sky as well as the hint of texture in the water.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 03/07/17 at 12:04 am EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Love it, Gary!  I have spent a lot of time watching scenes like this roll past me as I paddle along, looking down at the reflections of overhanging trees, but I have never produced an image that I thought was worth processing (maybe dissapointed by the lack of the sense of motion).  Your image brings back that feeling, and I don't miss the motion at all.  The processing looks great for a cloudy day, and I really like the inclusion of just a hint of ripples at the top. 

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/07/17 at 02:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Sorry, still can't get over the idea that frozen alien ice figures could have been born from the same "catchment" .... ;-)  Ok, just kidding... but wait, I'm looking at this and I thought it was an easy reflection, but now I can't figure this out. It's a mind bender... Clearly there is a symmetrical reflection, but yet I still can't figure this out.  I'm just gonna have to go to bed knowing there's an image here that is escaping my understanding, yet I love and appreciate it.

Yet another fascinating and perfectly processed image.  

Great work Gary! devil

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 03/07/17 at 06:32 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Great black and white abstract, Gary. I love the  powerful graphic design. 

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/07/17 at 08:04 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Vertigo indeed!  Wasn't sure if the trees were all reflected or portions of the tree were included, but the large version helped me out.  The tree forms very intriguing.  I like that it is difficult to figure out where the water line is.  Reminds me of they grey days of November.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/07/17 at 1:45 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Works for me as is, Gary. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with the shapes of the trees, but then it came to me. I love the somber mood along with the B&W treatment. I went back and checked out your ice abstracts; all beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/07/17 at 3:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Gary, I forgot to thank you for responding to my question about flowers in Utah and for the invite if I get out there. I'll keep my eye on the weather/conditions and let you know if I head out. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/07/17 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Very Mystical, Gary. The current presentation works for me. The tones look perfect to me.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/07/17 at 8:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Love it Gary. These shots are always fascinating, and with your eye you grabbed a good one.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/07/17 at 9:34 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Excellent, Gary. Wonderful simplified comp and as usual a beautifully crafted image. No nits.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/08/17 at 10:54 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Works great upside down, Gary...enlightened  The clarity of the reflection is amazing.  I had to look twice to realize that this is not a total reflection shot.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership