Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The "Burn" in Winter
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 03/05/17 at 01:11 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

We have quite a few forest fires here in some summers, and the area is typically referred to as the " ________  burn" with the descriptive location name filling in the blank. The Interior, in particular, has some huge areas that are burned by forest fires.
This is a photo of some burned trees where the fire went through rather quickly.  These are fairly small trees, and the fire did not burn the whole trees, but just burned the small branches off and killed the trees. In the background you can see some spruce trees that still have burned branches on them. The fallen trees lying at angles to those still standing make a stark image.

5DmkII, 24-105 L at 60 mm, ISO 800, f/18, 1/100 sec

See the larger version

Comments and critiques always welcome!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/05/17 at 07:16 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is really nice! I love the abstract quality of the lines and the high contrast presentation creates quite a mood. Excellent job at taming the chaos. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/05/17 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Chaotic for sure, Genny.  But I really like this.  I spent quite a few years cutting small timber, building fences, etc.  It also reminds me of Yellowstone, and the remnants of the fires in'88.  I like this as presented, but also like some or all of the sky cropped.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/05/17 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I like this too, Genny. Like Harley I like the graphic abstract look and the feel of the high contrast. Very nice work on the composition which I'm sure wasn't so easy to come up with. Very cool shot!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/05/17 at 4:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is quite abstract to me. I like the leaning trees in counterpoint to the vertical trunks. The snow has nice tonality, and I like the deep blacks. Cropping the sky gives a totally different feel. Personally, I like this the way it is.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/06/17 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

I'm gonna go against the grain a little and say that this isn't striking me as much.  I do like the graphic nature of this and especially the diagonal lines of the few fallen/leaning trunks. I think the hard time I'm having is that all the black trunks are merging so much that it takes away from the overall impression.

I do think Preston's suggestion of cropping the sky works as an alternate view.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/06/17 at 1:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

My eye is fighting with itself over the mix of vertical and diagonal lines too. I do like the austere, almost BW, of the image, but slightly less chaotic would be more attractive to my eye.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/07/17 at 9:39 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  For me, sometimes I like this and sometimes I don't.  I almost have to be in the right mood to like it, but this really is a true depiction of what that place looks like.  

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership