Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Inundated
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 03/03/17 at 3:56 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

This is the same catchment basin where I've been photographing ice.  Now I'm consumed with these partially submerged cottonwoods.  They haven't seen water like this in over 7 years.  

iso 100, 70-200mm w/ 1.4 tc @ 215 mm, f/16, 1/50s

Better large.

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/03/17 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I like the reflection, Gary, and the well balanced comp. BW processing looks. Nothing like photographic unique conditions when presented. Well done.

Do you think all this water will translate to good flowers in your state come May? I am thinking about heading out there because of all the rain.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/03/17 at 6:52 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

An interesting shot in this high water, Gary. I like your comp and the natural V taking you into the scene. Nice reflections and as usual great looking b&w processing. The larger version really takes one through the scene. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/03/17 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Really nice scene, Gary.  I like how you ignored the "rule of thirds" with the two trees centered in the distance.  Looks to be a great place to take a canoe.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/04/17 at 09:00 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like this a lot Gary.  The abstract qualities and B&W work well together.  For some reason it reminds me of an old time alien SciFi movie for some reason. 

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/04/17 at 11:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Wow, viewing it large made all the difference! I was yawning a bit looking at the small, but it really jumps out viewed large! Love it! The tones are great and the detail in the trees really pops. Beautiful. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/04/17 at 11:50 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Have you moved to California?  Your high contrast b&w really looks great in the larger view, Gary.  I like your comp. with the nice stretch of water (and reflections) leading back to the trees in the center.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 03/04/17 at 11:34 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

Your always-excellent B&W technique translated well to a new medium for you - water.  :-)
Tones, contrast, detail and composition make a wonderful sight from a scene where many would see only chaos.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/05/17 at 11:25 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Gary, the large version shows the nice detail and processing.  You might experiment with cropping some off the busy top to put more emphasis on the reflection.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/05/17 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The large version is the star! It really pops. This is a very well crafted image, Gary! Your recent B&W work is top shelf stuff!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/06/17 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

All I can say here is to add to the great comments and compliments.  This is fabulous!  The b&w processing is of course masterful, but I'm really loving the composition.  The way this is framed with even the trunk reflections left and right framing the lower edges, allowing the middle to open up, inviting the viewer's eye inward to explore....

Beautifully seen.

I'm only disappointed that I don't see any alien figures here, but I'm certain there's a Praying Mantis in those fine branches somewhere. enlightened

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/06/17 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I'm really enjoying the symmetry of the composition; just enough different to intrigue.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership