Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Disappearing in Fog
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 02/26/17 at 7:28 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

OK, so I thought I'd take a break from the winter images.  
This is from last September, when we typically get a lot of rain and fog.  Fog was covering most of the lake and partway up the mountainside.I had several different versions, and I played around cropping this several different ways, trying to find the best feel.  I wanted to keep that faint mountain in the upper left, but am not sure if that ended up working OK.

Comments and critiques always welcome.
Please see the larger version.

5DmkII, 100-400 L, 260 mm, ISO 800, 1/200 sec, f16

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/26/17 at 9:10 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Nicely done, Genny. Comp. works well and the fog adds a lot of mood. Processing looks good but I would suggest burning/cloning or cropping out that brighter swath in the upper left corner.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/26/17 at 10:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Interesting....  I had to look twice to find the mountain (cool), but do think it adds a nice touch of mystery and strong sense of what's hidden back there, Genny.  I also like the scattered barely visible trees behind the 2nd ridge.  This would also be a fine "mystery of the fog" view without the mountain.  The mountain's presence just changes the story a bit.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/27/17 at 12:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

Terrific mood and atmosphere captured here. The encroaching fog does it all here and I like that you kept the upper reaches of the image - the bg mtn is just barely distinguishable, but plays a good part.  I have this leaning thought to suggest a more pano crop up from the bottom, but those vertical reflections are just to tempting to cut off.

The only nit/suggestion I have is to bump up the shadow detail a bit in the tree/shoreline; it's not that I want more detail, but I think the heavier contrast in that area takes away from the foggy atmosphere in the rest of the image.

Actually viewing the larger image and I'll contradict myself.  I think a crop off the bottom might work - at least offer a slightly different view.  The contrast is also not as great, but I would still consider softening the contrast in that area.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/27/17 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Genny, This is very nice and especially viewing the large version. Good job with the exposure and capturing the fog. I like the composition including the faint mountain in the corner. I do agree with Lon that you could go with a bit less contrast in the closest tree line. It is better in the large version but a bit less dark shadow could help the mood even more I think. Anyway, it is a wonderful foggy scene and just fine as it is too. The quiet, mysterious and lonely mood here is wonderful.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/28/17 at 08:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful image, Genny, with wonderful atmosphere and nice subtle color. I agree with the suggestion re bringing up the shadow detail in the trees on the near shore; otherwise, everything looks great to me.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/28/17 at 9:12 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Yep, that mountain top left is perfect for me, Genny.  It says Alaska, or at least it says this ain't your ordinary lake.  It adds an immensity in a very subtle way.  I agree about opening up the shadows on the shoreline a bit.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/01/17 at 07:04 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I would agree with Lon that a little more of a pano crop would accentuate  the landforms and help the viewer see that upper left corner without competing with the lower bright areas. Wonderful mood.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/01/17 at 3:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Genny, I love the fog and threes. A pano crop would be nice to see. I agree with Lon about opening up the darks a bit for a softer contrast. I like the reflection of the trees.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/02/17 at 10:25 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this Genny.  I think the mountain in the upper left works as it evokes a sense of curiosity as to what lies in the distance.  Visually the dark tones in the trees pull my eye a bit, but the lighter tones in the fog balance the scene nicely.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 03/03/17 at 11:15 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Absolutely beautiful Genny.  This must be seen large to be fully appreciated.  The subtle variations in the tree color, the pale tree trunks, and the mystery of the fog make this irresistable.  Excellent photography!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/06/17 at 12:47 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The mountain is really interesting, but in this scene it distracts my eye from the much more attractive stuff below. Love the moody fog.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership