Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Collision Course
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 02/20/17 at 11:50 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments
Post last edited by gary phillips on 02/20/17 at 11:51 pm EST

More from the same day on the ice.  I have had a ton of fun processing these images.  

iso 640, 150mm, f/11, 1/200s

Way better large.

I sure appreciate your comments on my last ice image and look forward to your thoughts on this one.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/21/17 at 12:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Seriously?  Do you have a new, secret plugin for PS? The Alien filter?  Maybe a NIK plugin?  angel

So the alien on the right is eating a donut with a bunch of Skittles flying all around.  Looks way too much like a Storm Trooper though to be a complete alien.  I can't even begin to think or imagine what's on the left, but I do know that the black in between is deep space with moons, planets, stars and galaxies...

Gary, these are all truly UNREAL and unlike ANYTHING I've seen posted here on NPN since I've been a member (2006?).  Ok, And an outstanding job processing these.  I'm gonna ask one favor.  When you're done with all these, please share a broad view to give us some context?  I'm just having a hard time believing these existed in nature!

These do wonders for the imagination, but leave me speechless.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Wolfenden on 02/21/17 at 06:37 am EST    
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

Just got round to viewing your ice bubble series, Gary - amazing !  I actually like the previous post best of all, but they are all fascinating.  It's that feeling of seeing a world in a grain of sand ( or, in this case, a grain of ice !! ) that makes them so appealing perhaps.  Anyway - well seen and captured devil

Manchester, England

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/21/17 at 07:51 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Outstanding again, Gary. Pointless and impossible for me to try to say which are better, as they are all outstanding. This one looks like like deep space. Just terriific. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/21/17 at 09:16 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Another fascinating ice abstract Gary.  I love them all.....  Definitely out of this world.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/21/17 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Galaxies from outer space!!  Another fascinating and outstanding ice abstract.  You are absolutely killing it with these ice images!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/21/17 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Another fine ice abstract, Gary. Your processing on all the images in the series is spot-on. I really like the negative space created by the blacks.

On the right, I see a dog eating one of Lon's Skittles.

Very cool stuff!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 02/21/17 at 3:57 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

digging this Gary. The one on right reminds me of Aliens!

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alberto Patiño on 02/22/17 at 12:25 am EST    
Registered on 12/02/14, 278 Posts, 1736 Comments

Pure Sci Fi!! I love it! MUST be seen large.

Alberto Patiño Douce
Athens, GA, USA

Four Billion Years Website

Four Billion Years Blog

We have faith that future generations will know that here, in the middle of the twentieth century, there came a time when men of good will found a way to unite and fight to destroy the forces of ignorance and intolerance.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, February 12, 1943 

Sic transit gloria mundi

All Photos and Comments by Alberto Patiño

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/22/17 at 08:56 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Definitely best when viewed large, Gary.  The shapes and the 3D nature of the bubbles look great.  You've got a fine balance here with the different formations and the dark ice strips between them.  I'm also fascinated in thinking that here, the tiny bubbles that speckle everything with white dots look great, while in my views, i find them mostly distracting.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 02/22/17 at 09:58 am EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

Really cool. Looks almost like an asteroid belt. The black channels allow a sense of motion that is really effective here. Composition is spot on

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/22/17 at 4:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Another super cool ice abstract!!! These are pretty amazing, Gary. 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/22/17 at 7:54 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/22/17 at 7:55 pm EST

Gary, I took a quick run through all of your recent abstracts and they're truly unique. I think the B&W approach pushes them toward pure artistic thinking all around. The viewer becomes more intrigued with the patterns and the nature created designs & leaves the aesthetical thoughts to the wayside. 

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 02/23/17 at 8:39 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Dude Gary wow,

The recent work you have shared is phenomenal in my book. I love the abstract nature of the shapes, lines, and textures. The black and white conversion really highlights the graphic nature of these images wonderfully. These are all so well seen and captured bro.

Fine art

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 02/24/17 at 8:31 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Another mindbending ice abstract. Starting to have a Phillips signature style.The arrangement of bubbles and negative space works beautifully. Processing looks great. Hard to pick a favorite of these.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership