Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Chaotic River Flats
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 02/19/17 at 02:22 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Glacial rivers are very chaotic; the stream bed changes every year, and trees get strewn every which way.  Water levels rise and fall almost instantaneously.  One day it is a clear stream that is easy to cross, and the next day it is a brown muddy torrent.
This photo was taken last September, a notorious month for rain in Alaska.  This river was pretty high at this time, higher than it looks in this image, as I was actually looking across the main channel of water, and looking up the river valley.
Processing this was a bit of a challenge, with all the fog and the dark rocks and logs in the FG. I used Tony K's luminosity mask to help bring out the detail in the fog and clouds, but I'm not sure if it needs more. To me, this represents what the day actually was like, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to show it.
Comments and critiques are much welcomed!
See the larger image.

Fuji X-T1, 1/160 sec, f11, ISO 1600, 50 mm, hand held

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/19/17 at 10:01 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very nice, Genny. I like the atmosphere and mood, though it would have been nice if more of the mountains were visible as the bit that is visible blends with the clouds. The scattered tree trunks provide a sense of ruggedness and wilderness. Processing looks good to me. Certainly looks very clean for iso 1600. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/19/17 at 11:04 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/19/17 at 11:04 am EST

Genny, spending 2 years in Alaska I saw a lot of this with regard to chaotic and rough terrain all around. I think your processing fits the overall look just fine too. I also think the cloud cover and ominous look adds nicely to this POV here.....cool 

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/19/17 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

I could have sworn you posted a similar type image of the Alaskan land/river scape, but don't see it in your gallery. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. no matter though. ;-)

I agree with Paul, even though I've not spent the time in Alaska that some of you have.  I really like the shallow s-curve in the ever-changing river and I think this does well to show the nature of that changing environment (even though this is a static image - in other words, can't see things changing in a still photograph,) but we can imagine.

The clouds add terrific atmosphere here and also help tell the story.

No nits really. The only thing I can offer or suggest is to take this all the way to b&w,  Even if you don't I think you could plau around with contrast in the clouds for increased effect.  But that's a personal perspective.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/19/17 at 2:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like this a lot. I might burn down the log on the lower right, but minor. I think it works well in color and would work well in B&W, just with a different mood to it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/19/17 at 11:02 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Genny, I like this view a lot.  It looks very natural with all of the fallen trees strewn across the gravel.  That one clump of trees makes a fine eye stop before wandering into the distant valley and the clouds.  I think you've handled the clouds very well, plenty of texture and a great sense of storm moving in.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/20/17 at 02:57 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Nice job on this, Genny.  I don't hand hold many images, and I don't think that's a good thing.  Moving around without a tripod is somehow very exhilarating.  I agree with Lon. in that from the thumbnail, I thought this was b/w.  I would definitely take this the rest of the way there.  Having never been to Alaska, I appreciate the wildness and every changing environment you have the opportunity to photograph. I would probably try to bring more contrast to the sky, but that's a personal preference.  Some times getting the image to feel like you felt when you took it,  is the most important thing.  I like it.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/20/17 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Although this very nearly mono-chromatic, I do like the hints of color. The composition works very well, and I love the curves of the river and the sky.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/21/17 at 4:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Beautiful Genny.  The S curve of the braided river leading back to those mountain ridges and that peak in the distance, all shrouded in the low clouds works so very well.  The first hint of autumn color in the cottonwoods and the yellows and reds in the wood of the stranded tree trunks in the foreground, as well as the subtle greens in the distant forests, all add just the right amount of color to a gray Alaska autumn day.  I think you did excellent on the processing.  Looks like the Matanuska River to my eye but I'm probably mistaken as Alaska has thousands of wild braided rivers.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/22/17 at 10:25 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This just speaks wilderness to me and I love the image. You sure captured the feel of this place on that day. Excellent processing and I like this composition and the clouds.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership