Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Retrieval
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 02/13/17 at 8:59 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

More ice, more fun.  Thanks so much for the interesting comments on the last ice image.  This one is a bit more straight forward, but no less thought provoking.

iso 640, 150mm macro, f/11, 1/800s

Your thoughts and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Better large.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/14/17 at 12:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Please, I'm still not over the "humanoid figure" from your previous post... angel enlightened  While I see no obvious human-like shapes or figures, this is no less fascinating in what the imagination might see in this image.

The technicals here are excellent; the tonal range, contrast, details and sharpness, all spot on. So great job processing this.

There's a log going on here, and there seems to be countless possibilities in terms of crops and isolating different elements. But the great thing about these abstract nature situations is that it's perfectly valid to include more as well.

I'm starting to envision a Triptych here..... what's up next?

Love this!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/14/17 at 02:20 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Stunning and surreal BW abstract Gray.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/14/17 at 08:15 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The blob that ate San Francisco, didn't I see this on late night TV? Another beautiful abstract! Love the shapes and tones. Excellent!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gerald Emery on 02/14/17 at 12:25 pm EST    
Registered on 01/02/17, 65 Posts, 25 Comments

Cool!  Pun intended!

Hi folks! New to this trying to figure out how to navigate the site. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio moved to St. George Utah a few years ago. Got introduced to Utah during a workshop and decided it was the place for me!

All Photos and Comments by Gerald Emery

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 02/14/17 at 3:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Gary: Since the only ice I see around my place comes out of my freezer dispenser I really appreciate these natural abstracts. Well seen, composed, captured and presented.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/14/17 at 10:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Completely different but no less intriguing than your previous ice abstract, Gary. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/14/17 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Very interesting processing Gary, not the usual ice image. I'm not sure what it reminds me of, but I do find it fascinating to see what you have come up with.  The arrangement of dark areas and the shapes keeps it engaging throughout.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/15/17 at 3:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I think this is one of your best ice abstracts, Gary. The shapes and lines all balance nicely, and the tonality is spot-on. Well done, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 02/15/17 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

That's a work of modern art, Gary. I have never seen ice do that but then again I live in California. Those little circles in the upper right are particularly intriguing.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/15/17 at 9:05 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

This reminds me of something a scientist might see through a microscope.  This has some really interesting forms and shapes - especially the repetition of various sizes of circles. The processing looks good too.  Very nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/17/17 at 11:04 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Wow.
'Nuff said.
devil

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership