Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ice Mozaic Turnagain Arm
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 02/08/17 at 02:55 am EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Ice that is formed in salt water where there are tides that move things around can create some really interesting shapes.Traveling along Turnagain Arm outside Anchorage near sunset, the tide was moving these plates of ice and other broken chunks of larger icebergs out of the Arm and back out to Cook Inlet.  Fog over the water created the strange blue above the distant water, and the low sun made the bright, almost pinkish orange color on the right side.
I wish I could have been higher, to get a better perspective of this.  The ice was moving surprisingly fast, as the tide moves quickly along there.  I don't know if the sense of cold and space comes through in this. It's kind of hard to get it all in there sometimes.

Comments and suggestions always appreciated!
See the larger version.

Fuji X-T1, 28-135 at 50 mm, 1/250 sec, f11, ISO 800

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/08/17 at 07:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am really enjoying the ice patterns and the sky gradient, but the large light pink sky pulls to much attention for my eye. I would be inclined to crop 2/3 of the pink sky, which I find brings the image back to the ice. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/08/17 at 12:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Genny, I like the ice patterns and the blue fog, too. I agree with Harley about the crop. If you do crop it, pull some of the red out of the ice and bring up the lights just a bit. This is a nice semi-abstract.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/08/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleagues, Genny.  I like the inclusion of the pink sky and the layering in the image.  Looks foreboding and inviting at the same time.  I might bring down the highlights on the right side of the sky to even it out a bit.  I do not envy your winters.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/08/17 at 5:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Genny, I'm going along with Gary's thoughts on this. The comp works fine for me as you have it and I do get the feeling of cold and the open space for sure. I like the patterns in the ice too.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/08/17 at 7:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

I like this very much!  I'm also gonna have to side with Nick and Gary, rather than my good buddies (not that Nick and Gary can't be my good buddies...) ;-)

The low ceiling/clouds I think is in good balance with the ice.  And I'm really worried now with either my eyes or my monitor.... If I'm seeing any pink at all in the clouds, it's a tiny hint. And I'm not seeing any red what so ever in the ice; just blues and grays.  Not sure what I'm not seeing.

I like how that low ceiling really simplifies this scene.The large view shows off the ice patters quite nicely.  I think this is excellent!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/09/17 at 12:03 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments
Comment last edited by Genny K. on 02/09/17 at 12:04 am EST

Thanks for the comments!  I guess the color and brightness in this is pretty subjective!
Lon, you wondered about there being any pink. I went to the file I was working on and increased the saturation way up.  It turned bright red and magenta. I'm not sure what one would properly call the color that is there now.  Sort of a cross between pink and orange; maybe almost a salmon color.

I did try cropping the  image as suggested, and also dimming the bright area a bit and pulling back the pink/reds in the ice are while increasing the lights there.  I'm not sure what I think of it.  I would have to stand back and look at it awhile.......
Maybe it needs to be even lighter in the ice area?

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/09/17 at 8:55 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments
Comment last edited by Brian Schrayer on 02/09/17 at 9:02 pm EST

I have revisited this several times before commenting.  My initial thought is that I would like to see what is out of the frame to the right.  The reason is that I like the reflected light in the water on the right side of the frame and the way that it contrasts with the darker ice.  That being said, the brighter reflections on the right compliment the darker blue reflections on the left side of the frame.  This combination works in tangent with the gradient in the sky which I find very appealing.  I prefer the original post over the crop.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership