Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sculpted in Snow
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 01/31/17 at 10:39 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments
Post last edited by Genny K. on 01/31/17 at 10:40 pm EST

The snow had completely wrapped these trees in snow, making them look almost smooth in some places.  This was back during a cold spell, and after freezing fog that covered even the moss on the trees in thick ice and snow.

I lightened this quite a bit, and I was surprised that actually was some detail in the snow, since it was a completely overcast and foggy day.
I am not sure if the comp works.  I was trying to find a scene that worked and trying hard not to make tracks in a place where I might then want to take a photo!  Also, does it need to be brighter?

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
See the large image.

5Dmkii, 24-105L at 32 mm, 1/50 sec, f13, ISO 800, handheld

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/01/17 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Genny, the larger view is notably brighter, and may be about right, although I'd adjust it a bit more and see what I thought.  I like the tiny tree and the clump of grass in the lrc, the tall tree that you've emphasized well on the right and the gap in the trees near the right edge.   I find views like this, where there's a limited sense of depth, very hard to pull off.  While this view is good and shows the conditions well, I don't find it "compelling".  I'm wondering how a vertical using the small tree and grass near the lrc, the tall tree to their left and the opening back to the misty trees in the distance would look.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 02/01/17 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

The processing looks good and there is nice detail in the snow. My eye seems to be searching back and forth for a center of interest to stop at.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/01/17 at 10:00 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Beautiful winter image.  I like the contours in the snow and the trees have a lot of character.

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/01/17 at 11:12 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Thanks for the input.  I was definitely wondering if this had enough of a focal point.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 02/02/17 at 12:47 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I absolutely love the texture of the trees, Genny.  For me, it's always hard to pull off an image with a white featureless sky, unless it acts as a background for something really good.  I think I would crop this almost square with just the three tallest trees. taking a little off the left and just inside the short little tree on the right.  For me, the texture of the  trees is what the image is really about, and I would do everything to bring that out.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/02/17 at 4:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Genny, I'm quite enjoying this as it is. This type of winter scene appeals to me and I'm especially enjoying the textures in the trees you caught here. The larger version works very nice but I do see the crop that Gary mentioned working well too. It looks bright enough to me in the large version. Very nice.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/03/17 at 10:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice peaceful snow scene. Excellent mood. It definitely needs to be viewed large. Nice work. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 02/03/17 at 1:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

I like this very much as presented; especially of course the large view.  I think the arrangement of the trees and the overall balance of the composition works nicely.  Some times, the focal point IS the image; in this case, the winter forest.  The ice/snow on the trees is obvious, but this isn't an intimate portrait of that, it's the bigger picture.  If anything, I actually think the fallen diagonal bare tree is an element that at least gets some attention, keeping the eye from continuing to wonder.  I like this.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Patricia Brundage on 02/04/17 at 08:59 am EST    
Registered on 03/23/06, 1111 Posts, 6531 Comments

I like the variety of shapes, the tonal range and, of course, the subject.  Did a nice job keeping the detail in the snow.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Patricia Brundage Gallery of Patricia Brundage

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership