Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Ebullition
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 01/29/17 at 9:01 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I was attracted to this catchment pond for some possible reflection images, but found some pretty cool bubble patterns.  I spent the better part of a couple of mornings getting lost in these fascinating patterns.  I started off with a tripod but found it too restricting, so hand held,  hence the high ISO.

Sigma 150mm, iso 640, f/18, 1/200s

Way better large.

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/29/17 at 9:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Very cool abstract, you learned fellow, you! I had to look up ebullition. That was a new word to me.  Love the bubble action and the patterns of shapes and tones. Very nice!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/30/17 at 08:29 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Gary, This looks great, and you are right, the large version is way better to view. Those bubbles are so cool and you did a wonderful job with the composition and processing as usual for you. I like this a lot.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/30/17 at 2:32 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Very intriguing and unique abstract, Gary. The comp is well balanced and your processing looks good.  Seems like a great place to explore the seemingly endless compositional options.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 01/30/17 at 5:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

This is a lovely abstract Gary. I love the use of diagonal crack and bubbles in two parts.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/30/17 at 5:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is so cool, Gary! What a great abstract this is. The composition is excellent, and the tones look great. My only nit is a diagonal line in the lower left quadrant that catches my eye. Wonderful image!
--P 

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/30/17 at 11:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Fascinating!  My initial and ongoing impressions is one of a charcoal sketch rather than a photograph.  Great contrast, yet not harsh, which makes me think even more of a sketch.  The dusting on the ice surface has my jaded mind thinking digital noise, but I know that's not the case - again a sketch.

Fascinating as I said, but I gotta believe there's a crop in there somewhere to get a more closer look at some of the bubbles.

Would agree with the minor nit of the short diagonal in the LLC - minor.

Oh, and I can see where one might set the tripod aside to remove any restrictions on vision.

Well done! Love this.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 01/31/17 at 10:07 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Gary, I, too like these bubble patterns, and you did a great job with this.  It's important to get a good comp, at least that's been my experience, and I really like this comp. It's a natural abstract, well balanced, and with the cracks running through there. Cool!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/01/17 at 4:35 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I love these icy patterns, Gary.  You've got a fine collection of textures and groups with the bubbles angling one way and the lines and clear areas angling the other.  The details and tonal range in the larger view are wonderful.  Definitely a wall hanger.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 02/01/17 at 9:50 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I always enjoy these kind of shots with the frozen air bubbles.  There is a lot of interest throughout the frame and it works well in B&W.  

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 02/02/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

I love this type of ice abstract, and this one is excellent, Gary. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/02/17 at 12:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a bit different than what you normally shoot, isn't it? I like it for that reason. It's really an abstract for me since I can't really tell that these are bubbles. I think that if this was in color one could better relate to the actual subject. It's pretty contrasty. That's probably how you wanted it. I would explore with adding more tonal variability in the darker areas to see how it looks. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gerald Emery on 02/02/17 at 2:07 pm EST    
Registered on 01/02/17, 65 Posts, 25 Comments

Gary, I like, tried to do some of this the other day, had to laugh about the tripod, I started breaking ice and getting frustrated so I just quit, my hands were freezing too. Thanks for your persistence, great shot!

Hi folks! New to this trying to figure out how to navigate the site. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio moved to St. George Utah a few years ago. Got introduced to Utah during a workshop and decided it was the place for me!

All Photos and Comments by Gerald Emery

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 02/02/17 at 5:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Absolutely fantastic, Gary.  Love your composition with the super diagonals and the layering of the bubbles in the ice.  Contrast is perfect in my opinion, with an amazing luminous quality to the tops of the bubbles.  The larger image is a must see.  Stunning.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 02/06/17 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wonderful bubble abstract Gary.  I like your use of diagonals.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership