Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Distant Ridges in Fog
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 01/24/17 at 8:57 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I seldom do B&W, but I just couldn't get the colors in this to work, and it was close to B&W anyway, so I will give it a try.
This was taken back in November, and the sun was really slanting down at an angle, which you can see in the tree shadows in the fog.  This was taken across the valley at 275 mm, and I cropped it quite a bit.  Actually, I cropped it, looked at it, re-cropped,and then did that again.  I just kept honing in on those ridge lines.
The upper ridge was in the shade, but was fairly light, while the spruce trees in the lower right were really, really dark.

I don't know; does it work?

See larger version.

5DmkII, 100-400L at 275 mm, 1/800, f16, ISO400.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by D.A. Edwards on 01/24/17 at 9:46 pm EST    
Registered on 10/08/14, 226 Posts, 1187 Comments

Works fine for me Genny other than there are some odd dark blotches in the upper two ridges that look like some sort of processing artifacts. A fine subject matter for a monochrome.

D.A. (Dave) Edwards
Sacramento, The Golden State, USA

All Photos and Comments by D.A. Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 01/24/17 at 11:33 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like this, Genny.  The repeated diagonal lines lend a nice rhythm to the composition.  The tonal contrast between the trees and the fog works well.  I also like the inclusion of the snow covered slope in the background.  Your efforts to refine the composition have paid off and your B&W processing looks great.  Nice work!  devil

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 01/25/17 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Genny: the repeating diagonals of darks and lights work well for me. Your B/W processing is an excellent choice for this photo. Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/25/17 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

I definitely thinks this works.  The UL ridge seems a bit bright but does balance out the lower right bright foggy area.  You handled the large dynamic range very well. Hopefully you have enough of a file left to make a nice print of this after the cropping you needed to do.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/25/17 at 6:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice repeating pattern of ridge and light and the clouds are great. I would be inclined to clone out the black spots (trees I assume) in the background. Nice choice of B&W. Well done. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 01/25/17 at 10:11 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I think this works very well, Genny. I particularly love the rays of sunlight filtering thru the fog.  I have a couple of suggestions.  First, the lowest ridge top looks like the shadows were opened up too much along with the foreground ridge.  I think it's fine if they are quite dark.  Secondly, the black spots on the background ridge could be cloned.  I know they are trees, but for some reason really jump out against the grey of the hillside.  I like it alot.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Shain on 01/26/17 at 9:32 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/07, 226 Posts, 4571 Comments

Hi Genny,

I really enjoy this dramatic b&w image. The altering diagonals of dark tree line and ghostly fog are very stimulating. The processing looks really good too genny.

Just some beautiful black and white work

Ryan Shain
Joliet, IL

The universal Mind contains all knowledge. It is the ultimate potential of all things. To it, all things are possible.

Ernest Holmes

All Photos and Comments by Ryan Shain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership