Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rest In Peace
Photo posted by Ian Cameron in the Landscape gallery on 01/15/17 at 4:19 pm EST
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 01/28/17 at 10:25 am EST

Loch Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland

Rarely is there a reflection of this quality and utter tranquility on Loch Assynt, even the sombre steel blue, grey hues of dusk add to the sense of peace.  Those gossamer thin reeds sticking some three feet or so out of the water were very important to my composition and even in such benign conditions I still had to wait for a while for them to settle.  I love though the delicacy of the foreground compared to the solidity of the backdrop island of Scots pine trees, some dead some living.

Please View LARGE..

Pentax 67II, 90-180 zoom, f/22 at 20 Seconds, Fuji Velvia 50.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 01/15/17 at 5:34 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Ian, Are your certain this is Scotland? A 20 second exposure and yet such a wonderful reflection. A beautiful scene with great composition.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Prashant Khapane on 01/15/17 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 492 Posts, 4580 Comments

Lovely composition...and calmness. 20s...hope weather is kind when we are there.

Dr.-Ing. Prashant Khapane
www.travel-hopefully.com

All Photos and Comments by Prashant Khapane

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/15/17 at 6:32 pm EST    

Afraid so, it was really getting quite dark, the sun having already set and I needed the depth of field for the distance between reeds and islands to maintain focus and then of course I am on Fuji Velvia 50 add on 1 stop for reciprocity failure and voila, 20 seconds...

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/15/17 at 6:37 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Love the atmosphere Ian.  The reflection and reeds are essential to the overall. mood.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/15/17 at 7:22 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Ian, I love the quality of light here.  The misty surroundings really make the subjects pop, obviously a challenge to get with such long exposure.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 01/16/17 at 05:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Amazing - peaceful and serene, subtle colours in the mist, and the layers are a joy.
Very fine work!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Sandor on 01/16/17 at 10:03 am EST    
Registered on 01/12/14, 453 Posts, 1625 Comments

Ian: certainly agree that the scene is peaceful and like it very much as is. I think an alternative would be to crop some of the sky as there is no detail in it. Congrats! Richard

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Sandor Gallery of Richard Sandor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/16/17 at 10:13 am EST    

Hi Richard

I cropped the sky a little bit but I do like to give this sort of scene a sense of airy-ness and space so I'm not sure it would benefit hugely from a further crop.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 01/16/17 at 4:58 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Ian,

The image looks great--moody and with just enough color to grab the eye.  I'd love to have a wind-free day like this when I'm out shooting.  Well done........................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 01/16/17 at 8:50 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Very serene. The near-monotone also adds to the calming feel of this. You cannot look at this in a hurry. cool
Those reeds in the FG are neat.  I keep expecting them to move........  Well done.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/18/17 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Ian,

As mentioned, very quiet and serene.  You mentioned the "...delicacy of the foreground compared to the solidity of the backdrop..." which I can see.  More than that for me and I don't think it's mentioned, is that the reeds in the water mimic the trees in the background - almost exactly. Very cool.

I wasn't there and of course don't have your vision of this scene, but I'm wondering if the reeds were offset a little to the right so as not so much vertically positioned with the bg trees?  As presented I almost want to crop in from the left to remove the brighter patch of sky. that little patch is a slight eye magnet for me.

The mood and atmosphere is strong here.  Well done.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/18/17 at 2:27 pm EST    

Very well spotted Lon and yes I noticed that mimicry too and I found it quite startling.  In fact if you visit my website you will see I have alluded to that very same thing, quite uncanny and reassuring to see that another has noticed it too.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/18/17 at 8:59 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Just lovely. Beautiful, elegant composition.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/19/17 at 3:30 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Masterful.  Viewing your works always makes me long for Velvia again.  So very peaceful, almost like a lullaby.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Hoveijn on 01/23/17 at 4:45 pm EST    
Registered on 11/02/15, 18 Posts, 192 Comments

Moody indeed. The four trees resemble the Daltons, but that might be too prosaic a remark for this serene image. I would not crop the sky for that might spoil (imho) the proportions of the composition. And I like the faint red glow on the hills which adds some warmth to this otherwise cold landscape. Well seen, nicely crafted.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Hoveijn Gallery of Igor Hoveijn

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 01/25/17 at 07:48 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I love the sense of stillness and calm here, punctuated by those striking verticals.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 01/30/17 at 01:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Amazing capture - very unique and mesmerizing.
Congrats on a very fine WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership