Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Summer Drizzle
Photo posted by Genny K. in the Landscape gallery on 01/14/17 at 10:36 pm EST
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

OK, I got tired of cold images, so I went back to some images from late last summer, taken in Interior Alaska.  

This was taken on August 25, so the bushes were already turning yellow at this elevation.  This is a relatively small pond out in the middle of a valley that was filled with small ponds and giant swamps.
If you look closely at the larger image, you can see raindrops on the water surface.  It was a sweet, silent moment.
Regarding the comp and crop, I was limited on where I could get.  Even though they don't look it, the bushes were tall enough to really impede getting a good view of the water, and the ground was very rough  with lots of dips and gullies. I found a high spot, and that's where I took this photo.

Canon 5Dmkii, 24-105L at 28mm, 1/60 sec, f16, ISO 800

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
See the larger image.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 01/15/17 at 3:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

This is beautiful, Genny.  Classic Alaska.  Love the foreground with the dwarf birch and willow beginning their autumn golden glow, the rain sprinkled pond, the diagonals of the distant hills and mountains.  The color is spot on natural.  The larger image seemingly puts me right there, immersed in the cool dampness and smells of the earth.  Wonderful image in my opinion.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/16/17 at 9:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Nice job finding a vantage point to get the pond in the image, Genny. The early fall color is nice, as is the atmosphere. Just the right amount of sky for the image.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/18/17 at 1:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Genny,

I've only been to Alaska once (Denali and Katmai,) but can't help but agree with Vance - classic Alaska.  My big impression is understanding totally when you wrote, "... I was limited on where I could get." ;-)  It looks thick, impossible to pass and if it weren't late August, most certainly swarms of mosquitos.

Even with those thoughts, this is still tranquil and nicely photographed.  Even the drops of rain add an important element.

No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/19/17 at 5:58 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

The larger image is a must. I like the comp because it gives a feel of the vastness of Alaska. The thing that always kept coming back to me during the time we had in Alaska was how big and wild it felt. Nice capture. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership