Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Flourish
Photo posted by gary phillips in the Landscape gallery on 01/03/17 at 9:40 pm EST
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Here's hoping everyone ended the year with a flourish and that we all can flourish in this new year!!

25-105@105mm, f/16, 0.6s

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Larger is better.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/04/17 at 10:17 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Another dramatic sky...You get a lot of these. Nice SS, the cloud looks like taffy.
Maybe just a tad lower for a bit more FG?

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/04/17 at 1:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent!  Very dramatic and beautiful sky and I love the high contrast. I might clone in a bit of texture/cloud in the bright white areas above the three smaller rocks on the ridge. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/04/17 at 1:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Gary,

Great power and drama in those clouds and the landscape has a matching mood to it with that high contrast.  I like the balance between the land/rock and the sky/clouds.  The contrast in the rocks/grass may be a little high for my taste, but again it reflects the power and drama of the clouds and overall scene, so it works!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 01/04/17 at 3:05 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

I love this, Gary.  The diagonal rock formation, clouds, and clear sky at the top make for some wonderful layers and a very engaging composition.  The shutter speed choice is perfect.  No nits from me.

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/04/17 at 3:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The unusual thing about this image is that it looks more like surf breaking over a rocky shore than clouds over land. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/04/17 at 5:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is superb, Gary. Those clouds are just outstanding and add tremendous impact. To me, this image is all about the sky so I might bring down the brightness of the grasses a touch to maintain focus on those incredible clouds.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 01/04/17 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments
Comment last edited by Brian Schrayer on 01/04/17 at 9:52 pm EST

This almost looks like an erupting volcano with the triangle formed by the landscape making the cone and the clouds forming the plume of ash.  Then again it might just be my overactive imagination!  sad

Either way this is masterly composed with the converging lines in the landscape pointing upward to the great cloud formation.  There is a lot of interest throughout the frame and your B&W processing is great as always.  Maybe those are at least volcanic rocks...

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/05/17 at 9:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Excellent image, Gary. Awesome cloud formation. I agree with Dave about the brightness of the grass a pinch. Looks great though. devil

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 01/05/17 at 11:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Fantastic, Gary.  Love the bold, dark rocks across the bottom, adding so much power to the already powerful drama of the sky above.  And the bright grasses mimicing the whites of the clouds.  Simply superb.  Another masterful black and white.  Love the larger version of course.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Navin Sarma on 01/06/17 at 2:46 pm EST    
Registered on 07/17/11, 233 Posts, 1373 Comments

Amazing dynamism to this image. The moving clouds and strong contrast really help the mood. Great job with another amazing B&W gary

Navin Sarma
Washington, D.C.

website

All Photos and Comments by Navin Sarma

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gerald Emery on 01/07/17 at 12:48 pm EST    
Registered on 01/02/17, 65 Posts, 25 Comments

Like this photo, started out in B&W, loved developing my own photos but fell in love with velvia! when I started to photograph nature.Digital processing was a whole new ballgame!
 Thanks for the welcome and comments Gary and hope to run into you one of these days in the neighborhood!
    Jerry

Hi folks! New to this trying to figure out how to navigate the site. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio moved to St. George Utah a few years ago. Got introduced to Utah during a workshop and decided it was the place for me!

All Photos and Comments by Gerald Emery

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership