Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Grand Canyon + Repost
Photo posted by Eva McDermott in the Landscape gallery on 09/30/16 at 12:52 am EST
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments
Post last edited by Eva McDermott on 10/01/16 at 5:29 pm EST

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone - Back Lit Trees

Thanks for looking.  Another favorite of mine from our trip out west,

Thanks for looking.  Many thanks for your comments and critiques.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 09/30/16 at 07:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Very nice, Eva. I like the backlighting, bright colors, and sharp details. The image has a nice, painterly look.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Walt Sterneman on 09/30/16 at 09:58 am EST    
Registered on 03/24/10, 73 Posts, 1268 Comments

Very pretty scene Eva. The large one looks like it was a tad over sharpened to me but maybe that is the compression? I think that for my taste I'd bring the brightness down just a tad, but that is just me.

Walt Sterneman - Indiana
http://www.waltsterneman.com

All Photos and Comments by Walt Sterneman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 09/30/16 at 1:25 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Interesting view of the Grand Canyon of The Yellowstone.  I like the backlit scene very much.  Having said that, I might tone down the highlights a bit, but works either way.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/30/16 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

In my opinion this image is somehow not coming across as strong ast it could. It's the trees vs the cliffs problem. The cliffs due to their highly textured contrasty nature are overwhelming the trees. The trees due to the light shining on them interfere with the cliffs. The two don't complement each other but rather compete with one another. The image looks busy despite having a good composition.  That's how it seems to me. I could be wrong. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 09/30/16 at 10:07 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

I enjoy the enlarged version, Eva. It has a bit of a dot matrix look to it, which gives an impressionistic appearance. Was this a specific post filtering process?   The light, soft colors, strong lines, angles and diagonals all work nicely and capture some natural drama. I think I understand Igor's comment about competition between the trees and cliffs... maybe more of the background cliff face might put  the trees into a more balanced perspective...however, a very nice image    

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 09/30/16 at 10:47 pm EST    

For some reason, I have been having issues with sharpening for web.  Thanks for the input.  I need to look into the sharpening issue.  I did like the quality of light here regardless of the competition between the trees and cliffs.  I'll look at t again.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/30/16 at 10:51 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I know the location very well, Eva, and boy have I struggled to get a view that I thought was special.  This nicely abstract look is outstanding!  Love the lighting on the trees and the fine collection of colors throughout.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/01/16 at 5:28 pm EST    

I tried a different sharpening technique.  Hopefully this looks better.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/01/16 at 9:16 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Actually, I changed my mind about this. I'm allowed to? The large version made me see this in a different light. The one you get with the arrow. Very, very nice Eva.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership